DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anybody tried swapping gimbals yet?

paulatkin73

Reactions
Subj - still waiting for a review or photos from anybody who would take off M2ED gimbal and tried to fit a M2P gimbal in its place.
Does it have same dimensions and a connector?

Subj - still waiting for a review or photos from anybody who would take off M2ED gimbal and tried to fit a M2P gimbal in its place.
Does it have same dimensions and a connector?
The M2ED cam is strictly a proprietary unit just for the M2ED. No other cameras will work on this model except the thermal one that it comes with.

Reactions: Former Member
The M2ED cam is strictly a proprietary unit just for the M2ED. No other cameras will work on this model except the thermal one that it comes with.
that is sad if true.
i am only skeptical as this exact statement was initially made to differentiate between m2p and m2z units. and i kinda doubt the format/type of the gimbal connector or even the main board on the m2ed is different from one in the m2p or any other mavic 2.
it just a common sense as to alter specific gimbal connector pinout is doable, of course, but, it would need completely new board blueprint - in my opinion, it would be difficult to justify.

but, who knows. would be nice to see a photo.

Last edited:
Reactions: allen.engler
that is sad if true.
i am only skeptical as this exact statement was initially made to differentiate between m2p and m2z units. and i kinda doubt the format/type of the gimbal connector or even the main board on the m2ed is different from one in the m2p or any other mavic 2.
it just a common sense as to alter specific gimbal connector pinout is doable, of course, but, it would need completely new board blueprint - in my opinion, it would be difficult to justify.

but, who knows. would be nice to see a photo.
Yes, I'd be very surprised if DJI have modified the core board in the drone for the Dual gimbal. Could be different firmware/bootloaders however.

AFAIK no one has actually confirmed that the hardware is different. I will at some point if no one else does.

Reactions: altaic
Yes, I'd be very surprised if DJI have modified the core board in the drone for the Dual gimbal. Could be different firmware/bootloaders however.

AFAIK no one has actually confirmed that the hardware is different. I will at some point if no one else does.
Thx, it was all i was curious about - to confirm if at least visual layout of a hardware and gimbal connection is same or not.

From Romeo Durscher At DJI Enterprise.
m2edswapcam.jpg
Remember, the M2E uses the zoom camera already.
Here is a video from OriginalDobo on trying the swap. A no go!

Last edited:
great, good to know - so, all connectors are same but, obviously, software prevents it from communicating, both ways. sad, but, predictable.

I've been experimenting with the sUAS option and separate controller on the M2E (no dual) . . works ok and a higher resolution sensor (BOSON32) . . but only has tilt servo so not as stable as M2ED
1552586038329.png

Reactions: ToniMacaroni
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ