DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Anyone use a UV Filter

harleymhs

Reactions
Hey Guys, Does anyone use a UV Filter?? Had one on my Air 2. Just picked up a Air 2 S and wanted to know if there are any advantage on using these.. My wife said the photos were not as sharp with the UV filter I didnt see that.. Any thoughts on using a UV filter would be great! TIA

PGYTECH UV Filter (Professional) for DJI AIR 2S is what I was looking to get..

wanted to know if there are any advantage on using these..
Many DJI drones have UV filters as standard equipment.
For a camera that flies around at speed, it makes sense to have something to protect the lens from bugs, dust, salt spray, etc.
I wouldn't fly without one.
My wife said the photos were not as sharp with the UV filter I didnt see that..
Photographers have been using UV filters for decades without issues about sharpness.

I put a UV filter on all my lenses - SLR's (now retired), DSLR's, drones. Back in the day, I used UV-B for the slight 'warming' effect (as opposed to UV-A). I shot Ektachrome a lot so I could process it myself using an E-6 kit, and it tends to be slightly blue-ish compared to the much warmer Kodachrome.

So yes... OK to use a UV, just keep it clean and it should have no effect on sharpness.

Hey Guys, Does anyone use a UV Filter?? Had one on my Air 2. Just picked up a Air 2 S and wanted to know if there are any advantage on using these.. My wife said the photos were not as sharp with the UV filter I didnt see that.. Any thoughts on using a UV filter would be great! TIA

PGYTECH UV Filter (Professional) for DJI AIR 2S is what I was looking to get..
A high quality multi coated filter should not degrade the image to any noticeable degree.In extreme toward the sun/bright light source it may increase the flare but most all the time it will give you peace of mind and if you have to clean it a much better feeling than cleaning guck off the actual lens.Easily+fairly cheaply replaced.

Reactions: Saladshooter
I don't see much use for a UV filter except as a lens protector. Better off using a polarizing filter unless you need every bit of available light, in which case it's not likely to make much if any difference.

As often happens, your wife doesn't know what she's talking about. If your photos are not sharp, it's not the filter, it most likely your shutter speed and/or drone movement at time of shutter release. A higher shutter speed for photos will typically yield sharper landscape images as the farther away from the camera, the more movement is noticeable.

I'd suggest the variable ND filters. Quite handy for Mavic drones with a fixed aperture (all except M2P). I mostly shoot video, but you can set a pretty fast shutter speed with the ND set low on the dial.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada