DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are DJI drones the only drones that can be unlocked for NFZ

undeadmerc3

Reactions
Hi. I'm planning on acquiring a new drone, one that uses my phone for it's control interface. I read somewhere about DJI drones being capable of being unlocked within NFZ's. While I don't have any plans for using any NFZ unlocking, I kinda wonder if DJI is the only drone manufacturer that has this or if DJI are the only drones capable of this.

While I don't have any plans for using any NFZ unlocking....
You don't have plans for using NFZ unlocking.....NFZ unlocking have plans for you! It in the DJI drone and it will come find you when it needs you. :)

You don't have plans for using NFZ unlocking.....NFZ unlocking have plans for you! It in the DJI drone and it will come find you when it needs you. :)
Your comment leaves me with a chuckle. Still i've been doing a bit of look see into drone technology and couldn't help, but ask. Figured it'd be a harmless little question since I wanted to do my research. For obvious reasons, of course, DJI's drones are costly anyway. I live quite a ways away from any area that one would consider a NFZ(air ports for example which are obviously NFZ area's for good reason), but there are a few parks that for whatever reason are NFZ. Odd.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
My drones (DJI) are unlocked, but I never fly in no-fly zones.
The problem is that DJI's NFZ maps are unreliable. Sometimes they deny me to fly in perfectly legal areas, other times DJI tells me it is fine to fly where I know it is strictly forbidden.
It is not illegal to unlock the NFZ, as a pilot it is your responsibly to fly only where you are allowed to, at all times.

Most drones except DJI will Fly anywhere. There are few drones that come equipped with GPS. DJI is one.
BUT DO NOT take any drone NO matter the size or capability to a no fly zone!! The laws stay the same no matter what you fly!
Understood.

I read somewhere about DJI drones being capable of being unlocked within NFZ's. [...]
It's important to realize that there is a often a big difference between any actual FAA legally imposed NFZ (like around Washington DC) versus those defined by DJI within their DJI GeoZone system. They're frequently not the same.

DJI's GeoZone system is the one which will physically prevent your DJI drone from flying within certain areas, unless you apply for an unlock code from DJI.

FAA designates some areas as off limits to drones, but they are often not accurately reproduced within DJI's GeoZones (i.e. DJI won't prevent you from flying there even if it is actually illegal). Just because DJI allows you to fly, or grants you an unlock when asked, it's not neccessarily legal to do so.

Similarly, many areas designated off limits by DJI (where DJI will prevent your drone from taking off) are not necessarily illegal to fly in.

It's always the pilot's responsibility to verify whether your location is legal and safe to fly in.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jakobw1998