DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are Follow Me and 4k video possible through firmware updates?

So far I have been happy with my mini,
Knowing it doesn’t have all those great features that other drones have.
It fly’s great and makes beautiful photos and amazing videos,how ever sometimes I do hope one day some other app or dji
Will put some other features on the mini [emoji122].
So DJI or litchi, please add some other features for the mini and thank you so much for making the best drones around today [emoji3][emoji106].

Reactions: TheFunker
I was too, at least for the limitations dictated by cost and weight constraints. I'm not quite so understanding and forgiving of DJI leaving out not just Active Track but standard software features like waypoint missions and course lock. There just doesn't seem to be any justification for that, and I'm sure it's hurting their sales. The idea that those software features would make the Mini too competitive with DJI's more expensive drones doesn't make any sense to me, because hardware limitations mean the Mini can never hope to compete with drones that have large-sensor 4K video, obstacle avoidance, OcuSync, and the ability to handle more than moderate wind.

Just so you know the Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom (Top of the line?) does not include course lock or home lock nor does the newly released MA2, but rolling back to a Mavic Pro gives it to you. So moving forward the MM and since beyond do not have that feature. Note that the Hyperlapse feature includes a parameter called "Course Lock"..but not a free fly like you are asking for.

Additionally DJI and some other "major" players have a substantial leap in how their Active Track systems work. The lessor $400-$500 market doesn't employ. Thus why the MM doesn't include the feature. DJI went with system processors on board aircraft to run it's flight systems such as smart shots and O/A. The more accurate those systems are the more Processing power required, thus more weight and reduced flight time due to power consumption of circuitry and weight of components.

Factoring in DJI's selling points of a lightweight, Super Small Selfie drone...those feature sets didn't fit into the equation. One could even argue that Flight time alone is a major buying point, which would mean heavier batteries to accomplish those features.

So yeah they could have cut corners like the other manufactures do and threw those operations to the Phone/Tablet processor to handle, but that opens up another can or worms on devices that are capable of running such things (As if the Mini doesn't have enough of that already :p)

Simply there are a myriad of ifs and buts, and perhaps SDK for the mini will be the answer, just as it was back in the original I1 and P3 days, but right now, for what the Mini offers at price..who can really complain about bells and whistles if you compare apples to apples?

On Course lock (Or is it Home lock? I never used them when I had them) as it applies is mainly to dumb down control for new pilots. I understand it makes for some easier framing for certain shot perspectives, that can be accomplished by using a set up of RTH feature though. And the MA2 has "SpotLight" which does it. SO there is a work around for even the Mini at present if you need that type of shot.

Last edited:
It's all about the HoChiMinhs... DJI isn't stupid. The Mini is a fabulous stepping stone to introduce people to the drone world. But DJI knows that once bitten, people like me would undoubtably have GAS to move up. So, by keeping the extra features out of the Mini, not only do they sell a lot of Minis to entry level consumers, but sell a SECOND drone to these same people with even more margin. It's simply brilliant strategy. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for major feature upgrades any time soon that could potentially cut into MA2 and M2 sales.

Reactions: BigAl07
... So, by keeping the extra features out of the Mini, not only do they sell a lot of Minis to entry level consumers, ...
But there's the exact problem with that strategy: it doesn't make any sense. They're not selling to thousands of entry level consumers who look at the features offered by the Mini's competitors and decide to buy one of those instead. They might win a lot of those sales if they just offered Active Track, because that's a feature that entry level consumers seem to be especially interested in, and nobody has to buy a $1000+ drone to get it.

But there's the exact problem with that strategy: it doesn't make any sense. They're not selling to thousands of entry level consumers who look at the features offered by the Mini's competitors and decide to buy one of those instead. They might win a lot of those sales if they just offered Active Track, because that's a feature that entry level consumers seem to be especially interested in, and nobody has to buy a $1000+ drone to get it.

Simply Roger that is your thought, but I can assure you the Mini is Marketed to newbies as a whole, second tier of their marketing is the travel done. Finally, 3rd marketing is price, and owning the finest of drone manufactures. They don't need to market against others as nobody has ever "challenged" them for sales that would matter. They own over 70% of market in all categories they sell.

The best I have ever seen somewhat proved by Analytics is Autel challenging at a 7% of the "30%" of leftover sales (Autel Evo 1). So basically over 10 of every drone sold is a DJI. Given that there are haters and those with no knowledge of such...DJI is and will always be the King of Drones at this point, as much as some would hate or deny, that I have observed.

There is a ratio of just plain knowledgeable against just plain newbie that buys for cost..even factoring in 50% off of DJI's sales....DJI is still a clear winner.. Whether some want to understand simple ratio's or fractions or not.

No Offense, but there is quite a bit involved for this whole thing than some comprehend. And As much as some like to use terms Like : "DJI killer" nobody even comes close to hitting them let alone "Challenging" them at least in sales..albeit to some chagrin. I don't like it, but I do somewhat understand it, been in too many "Goberment" contract situations not to see the true picture. :)

Simply Roger that is your thought, but I can assure you the Mini is Marketed to newbies as a whole, second tier of their marketing is the travel done. Finally, 3rd marketing is price, and owning the finest of drone manufactures. They don't need to market against others as nobody has ever "challenged" them for sales that would matter. They own over 70% of market in all categories they sell.
Since they're the new kids on the block, I'm pretty sure they don't own 70% of the market for drones in the $400 to $500 range. But whatever their share is, my point is, it could be larger if they did something as simple as supporting Active Track, because virtually every competitor in that market supports something similar, and it's a highly popular feature. You seem to be saying that DJI is only interested in a subset of that market, and they don't need Active Track to sell to that subset because they're selling the DJI brand, so why bother. That might well be true, and I'd still say it looks like a dumb marketing strategy to me, unless DJI is afraid they couldn't keep up with demand. ;) Thumbswayup

I don’t know much about DJI, but just from the fact that they’ve already made a significant upgrade to the video controls, I would think there might be a good chance that they would add an active tracking feature. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but it seems to be a feature that could be easily added and an important capability for a “selfie drone.”

I don’t know much about DJI, but just from the fact that they’ve already made a significant upgrade to the video controls, I would think there might be a good chance that they would add an active tracking feature. Wishful thinking, perhaps, but it seems to be a feature that could be easily added and an important capability for a “selfie drone.”

While it's most likely POSSIBLE (to some degree) to add it that's not how DJI normally operates. They don't normally add "High End Features" to their economical series. I've not seen a many "Features" added to their existing lineups. They normally either reserve those for higher end models or hold them for future releases of the same model. It's a marketing strategy to "Entice" users to upgrade sooner than later.

Since they're the new kids on the block, I'm pretty sure they don't own 70% of the market for drones in the $400 to $500 range. But whatever their share is, my point is, it could be larger if they did something as simple as supporting Active Track, because virtually every competitor in that market supports something similar, and it's a highly popular feature. You seem to be saying that DJI is only interested in a subset of that market, and they don't need Active Track to sell to that subset because they're selling the DJI brand, so why bother. That might well be true, and I'd still say it looks like a dumb marketing strategy to me, unless DJI is afraid they couldn't keep up with demand. ;) Thumbswayup

I don't know what to say other than DJI has marketed or helped to market a Drone in pretty much all price categories over the years. They and only they know which subsets sell to masses and what feature sets are wanted. No other Drone manufacture has done or marketed like DJI has. So I am pretty sure they have the knowledge to do as they see fit. It is well known that while they may market to squash lessor sold brands, they DO NOT sell lower tier to affect sales of their own higher tiers.

The Mini is by some accounts a beginner drone or entry level if some prefer. I certainly don't have actual statistics on it's sales, but if I were to hazard a guess it has outsold others in that price range by a good 4 to 1. Now how many of those sales are returns, who knows? Just Like Hubsan or even FIMI who try and compete at that price level. As for keeping up with the demand, I am pretty sure they learned their lesson with the MP1 Launch. Look at the MA2 launch, even though DJI closed it's facilities around the world for the C-19. They still flew through that, something other companies or their distributors or even customers on a waiting list still use as a crutch for not delivering in any vast quantity. It is what it is, you buy DJI or not. There are options but no other company has made anything like the Mini in what it offers broad spectrum...well not yet, as it usually takes a year or so for copies to come out;) And by then DJI has already made their money and moved on and out comes Version 2 or 3 as it may pertain :)

Unfortunately DJI is the WORLD Market leader in all categories although I don't know what % in the $400 - $500 range. You can bet your bottom dollar it's a very high % and possibly higher than 70% because there's not a lot of VIABLE competition in that sector.

They didn't get that position with dumb marketing strategies and they know exactly what they are doing by introducing an economical, silly easy to fly drone with missing functions. We have seen this exact same strategy Time & Again with DJI and it works for them.. VERY well I might add. They give you just a taste of what you "COULD" have with a bigger/better system and odds are you'll upgrade then the urge overcomes you. It works and works splendidly for them across all platforms.

I dunno Roger. Maybe. We don't know what the group psyche of DJI management is. We know that Active Track is available in the GoFly app for MA2. So why did they omit it with the MM? It had to be intentional, no? Most of the entry level drones that "compete" with the MM are in the $200 range, many with multiple batteries in the package to start. In the new consumer's mind the difference between $250 (which is what I paid for my first drone failure) and $500 for the MM Fly More seems like a lot of money.

It seems to me that the selling point for many countries is that it avoids some of the restrictions that 251 grams+ imposes. If a sub 250 gram drone is the prime imperative in some areas, other than toy drones, the auto features would largely become irrelevant because there is absolutely nothing that competes with the Mini in that weight class. So, if marketing management wants to throw a wide net, it can capture the market where being overweight is a non starter and at the same time go after a market that wants to get its feet wet with something better than a cheap Chinese wannabe. And like me, having been soured by one of those cheap wannabe's didn't want to jump into a $1000 trial (yet maybe should have?)- now hooked, looking for something more robust in every way. JMO

This subject gets discussed on these forums every few months. Sometimes people get quite angry and heated about not having a follow function which other (cheaper) drones offer. And in almost every thread on the subject, it comes down to the fact that DJI decided not to implement it on the Mini for their own reasons.
In the same way that you don't get all the features on a bottom of the range Audi that a top of the range one has - and a lot of those are just software functions that are disabled on the lower models. Audi would rather people bought their more expensive models because they're a business and making money is important. DJI are no different - they could off all kind of features on the cheapest model, but then why would people buy the more expensive ones? They quite clearly show what the Mini will and won't do in the marketing materials, so you can't claim you were misled unless you admit buying without doing any research.
If you want a feature such as follow mode then you know the Mini doesn't have it. You then have to decide whether having it is enough to justify spending money on the higher model that has it, or whether the Mini's light weight and price is more important. Or indeed whether you'd rather have a Parrot or Fimi - rather than DJI's logging and support.
FWIW my £200 Hubsan H501S does follow and continuous circle modes. But it's not got as good camera or battery life as my Mini and it's bulky to transport in comparison.

......In the same way that you don't get all the features on a bottom of the range Audi that a top of the range one has - and a lot of those are just software functions that are disabled on the lower models. Audi would rather people bought their more expensive models because they're a business and making money is important.....

Several years ago I had a very nice truck but it was NOT top of the line so it didn't have the high end bells & whistles but it also didn't hit the High End portion of my wallet. To make a long story short I had a massive wreck in it and it had to be repaired extensively. One day I was at the body shop and the guy working on my truck said, "Do you want the heated portion and electric lumbar supports in your seats Activated?"

All of the mechanics for heated seats and lumbar adjustment was there they just weren't activated. He installed a pair of $20 switches, plugged the components into their respective slots, and BINGO I had a couple of High End features for $40.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada