DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Assistance needed in the South Bend Indiana area.

BadTuna

Reactions
I haven't been flying my MP very long, just a couple of outings at an area park. I'm very green when it comes to smooth flowing camera movements and I know I'll get there but there is an old auto factory building that is going through renovations to re purpose it. Soon it will be unrecognizable. I need to shoot this building now. Is there anyone who is used to flying in the South Bend area that would fly my Mavic for me to get the footage I need? My leisure time to practice is very limited.

If you can't get on-site help, Tripod or Cinematic mode to slow down the Mavic and ND filters to slow down the shutter speed will get you smooth video. There are many threads about ND filter use here.

Thanks I haven't tried those modes but remember seeing something about it on You Tube. Part of my apprehension is due to it being on the edge of downtown with busy streets around it. I went there yesterday but the wind was picking up and I had to call the airport as its about 4.5 miles out and the operations manager was giving me a hard time telling me I needed to go to the FFA site and read everything I'm supposed to do. So I didn't call the tower mainly because the wind was spooking me. Gusts were 17 mph which for someone experienced, wouldn't be a problem. I'll go back to the park and try those modes.

You have a few problems;
• "on the edge of downtown with busy streets"
• an airport that is "about 4.5 miles out"
• inexperience
• untested Mavic

By "untested Mavic", I mean that with only a couple of outings at a park, you have probably not tested the RTH functions to insure your familiarity with how they work and that they do work as expected. Since there is always a possibility of a disconnect, it is imperative that RTH will work properly in an urban environment. You don't want it to hit an obstacle or hover until forced to land on a busy street.

I suppose that if you went straight up a little above treetop level, hover and do a slow pan of the building, then drop straight down to land, you could get the video you want with little risk. There is still the issue of the airport though.

I bought it used on Ebay and it had the lasted firmware and most everything was set up already. the previous owner had the RTH altitude set at 120 meters and the first time I used RTH I panicked because I was watching it climb until it was no longer visible then my screen said landing and I thought landing where? I'm looking everywhere thinking it might be landing in a tree! Then I heard the buzz right above me and I was relieved. I did purchase the Polar Pro Cinematic lenses. So is there typically a problem getting cleared by the airport? Again I saw a couple of YouTube videos where the pilot called although he talked to several people, it wasn't a problem once they reached the right person.

Hi! I actually have quite a bit of footage of the Studebaker building during it's renovation. I've even been hired by the building owner to get footage for them to use at a later date. If you need any help I work right next door and could help you out. You can message me at [email protected]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54