DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Attaching Air Tag to Mavic Air 2

shootersids

Reactions
I attached a Apple Air Tag to the top of my Air 2 and prior to taking off, I received a compass calibration error. I tried several times to calibrate and the calibration failed each time. I decided to removed the air tag and the calibration was successful. Has anyone else has an issue attached a Air tag to Drone ? Help and suggestions appreciated !!

i had the same idea, but never got around to try this yet. Can you state where on the drone did you attach it? near the top front is where the compass sensor is. If it is messing with the compass you definitely don't want it around your drone, it is catastrophic to fly with a bad compass.

I attached to front portion of Drone. I also have a small strobe light attached to top of battery. I'm thinking about swapping locations and see if that works better. I never considered the Bluetooth signal could interfere with the drones Calibration

Attachments

• Drone1.jpg
    Drone1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Drone2.jpg
    Drone2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
As I know, anything passively metallic or ferritic will interfere with the GPS or the Compass or both.

Not to mention actively electromagnetic such as RF (BT) which will highly likely cause even more interference.

Only metals containing iron will affect the compass.

Bluetooth can interfere if the aircraft is using the 2.4GHz band if in very close proximity, which it is in your case. The GPS receiver is also mounted towards the front of the body where you put the Airtag. Although not operating on the same frequency as GPS, the Airtag will reduce the received GPS signal. Moving the Airtag to the rear of the aircraft body should be okay.

Last edited:
I was thinking of attaching one to my MA2 but realised that the places I mostly fly wouldn’t have much chance of being picked up by the worldwide Apple iPhones which if I got it correct play a major part in locating your air tag. That coupled with most of my flights are over beaches, lakes & rivers! If I go down, it’s good night Susie air tag & all ?

Reactions: Jet skier
I tried using an air tag on an FPV drone and I found that they do not even work I put a drone out 100 yards and looked at the app on the map several times and nothing showed up, I think the only thing they do is will allow for a churp sound if your phone or any phone with Bluetooth is next to it

I tried using an air tag on an FPV drone and I found that they do not even work I put a drone out 100 yards and looked at the app on the map several times and nothing showed up, I think the only thing they do is will allow for a churp sound if your phone or any phone with Bluetooth is next to it.
They work by contacting nearby phones. So, it won't help you track your drone, but if it's come down and you can get near it, then it might help you locate it. I've done a couple of flights with one attached, and haven't seen any negative issues yet. Further testing required.

They work by contacting nearby phones. So, it won't help you track your drone, but if it's come down and you can get near it, then it might help you locate it. I've done a couple of flights with one attached, and haven't seen any negative issues yet. Further testing required.
The chirping is barely audible if there’s any ambient noise you will not hear it I wouldn’t buy any more I can’t recommend it

The chirping is barely audible if there’s any ambient noise you will not hear it I wouldn’t buy any more I can’t recommend it
I probably couldn't hear it anyway....but it doesn't matter as the last couple of iPhones can give quite accurate position guidance using 'precision finding'. Basically it points at it, and give you a distance. Seems to work within about 5 metres.

I probably couldn't hear it anyway....but it doesn't matter as the last couple of iPhones can give quite accurate position guidance using 'precision finding'. Basically it points at it, and give you a distance. Seems to work within about 5 metres.
My iPhone didn’t do any pointing it only shows where your phone was at

I attached to front portion of Drone. I also have a small strobe light attached to top of battery. I'm thinking about swapping locations and see if that works better. I never considered the Bluetooth signal could interfere with the drones Calibration
Hi, you have put AirTag just on top of GPS.

I attached a Apple Air Tag to the top of my Air 2 and prior to taking off, I received a compass calibration error. I tried several times to calibrate and the calibration failed each time. I decided to removed the air tag and the calibration was successful. Has anyone else has an issue attached a Air tag to Drone ? Help and suggestions appreciated !!
I have a Mini SE, M3P, and M4P. I used an air tag on the Mini SE to experiment with and mounted it on the top front. It flew without any problems. There were no messages on the DJI FLy App regarding any interference. I then landed it about a quarter mile from my location and located it using the Find My app on my iPhone. DJI has a Find my Drone feature but that only works as long as the drone is powered on. If that drone emergency landed because the battery was depleted, then Find my drone is useless. This is where an air tag is useful. And yes, an air tag is also battery operated, but you will get a battery replace message long before the battery is depleted.

Reactions: Rchawks

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus