DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Avoiding video corruption- Is the "stop record" process different with the M2 than the MM?

vindibona1

Reactions
Democratic Peoples Republic of Crook County
I first got my Mavic Mini but initially got a couple corrupted files that I couldn't recover or only partially recover. I had forgotten to push the "stop record" button and after a few seconds on the ground turned the Mini off. Each time I forgot to stop the video with the red button before turning off the drone I got the corrupted video. So I've tried to be careful and make sure to press "stop record" as habitually as pushing the "record" button. But twice I've forgotten to push the stop video button, then powered down- only then thinking that I might have just lost 10 or 15 minutes of footage... But when I downloaded the SD card from the M2 mercifully all the files were fine.

Does the Mini have a different file end protocol than the M2 where one one you MUST press the stop record button, but on the M2 just powering off the drone finishes the video then powers down?

You might be able to let the file finalise it's recording by powering on again and or replacing the battery

It's strange that the software doesn't stop the recording and close the file nicely if it is having a soft manual button press power off. I fear you are right though as I have 1 unreadable file now mixed in with 59 good ones. I was having a right fight with it as it wanted to land and I needed a couple more minutes knee height tracking shots 5 metres from me!! I guess i forgot to stop recording before the soft off...

Surely there is an app to repair this file out there that can handle an UHD H265?

it would seem that all mavics and probably other models from DJI corrupt the ability for the files to be read if the drone is turned off before the video recording has been stopped
and as stated above putting the card back in the drone and restarting the drone does close the file down and allows it to be seen ,unless you are very unlucky
this is something that myself and probably many others,have done on the odd occasion ,its similar to forgetting to start a recording on take off and then realising several minutes later when what you wanted to film has gone ,if the turn on trick does not work i believe there are file rescue apps that can be used to repair the SD card

Reactions: Thomas B
I don't know of the M2 vs Mini difference of behavior in this area.

But I'm guessing that the designers of this product could probably make it so that a shut-down of the battery sends a signal to the aircraft (it may already) and that the aircraft could do a thing or two with that knowledge, such as turn off recording (which would close open files).

There might be a design reason they don't, like "that would add a second or two to the shut-down sequence". But this seems to happen enough to people. Someone would have to go to the DJI forum to argue the case.

I think the thing for me to do is make checking for video-stop a habitual thing on my power-down checklist. The stop-video check has to become a mindless automatic action so it will happen without even thinking about it. One would think that DJI would have programmed their drones to do this automatically as I'm nearly certain there have been as many instances of forgetting to shut the video off as there are as forgetting to turn it on. Opposite actions, but same potential result- no useable video. So far with my M2P I've been lucky as I've fogotten to do this twice, but I have intact video.

You might be able to let the file finalise it's recording by powering on again and or replacing the battery
With another brand name drone I use if you forget to stop video and shut the drone off all you have to do is start it back up and hit record then end it and it will automatically finalize the unusable video that was previously on it.

it would seem that all mavics and probably other models from DJI corrupt the ability for the files to be read if the drone is turned off before the video recording has been stopped
and as stated above putting the card back in the drone and restarting the drone does close the file down and allows it to be seen ,unless you are very unlucky
this is something that myself and probably many others,have done on the odd occasion ,its similar to forgetting to start a recording on take off and then realising several minutes later when what you wanted to film has gone ,if the turn on trick does not work i believe there are file rescue apps that can be used to repair the SD card
It's not just Mavics. I can attest that other drone manufacturers cameras will do the same thing if you power off the aircraft before turning off the recording.

With another brand name drone I use if you forget to stop video and shut the drone off all you have to do is start it back up and hit record then end it and it will automatically finalize the unusable video that was previously on it.
Ya beat me to it @Tufargon lol. I've seen you on another manufacturers forum as well. Welcome to the Mavic Pilots forum!

Reactions: Tufargon
Ya beat me to it @Tufargon lol. I've seen you on another manufacturers forum as well. Welcome to the Mavic Pilots forum!
Thanks! Yeah I've been there quite a few years now. I'm taking a walk on the wild side/dark side with the MA2 that I just got the other day. Just waiting on my tablet and researching so my first flight will be good. :cool:

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
Thanks! Yeah I've been there quite a few years now. I'm taking a walk on the wild side/dark side with the MA2 that I just got the other day. Just waiting on my tablet and researching so my first flight will be good. :cool:
I did the same, got mine in May. I still have the old X-Star though. It won't die even though the batteries do.

Reactions: Tufargon
I have had this problem with my MM. I put the card back in the drone for a few minutes, turned it off, removed the card and the file was no longer corrupt.

Reactions: Thomas B
If you modify the contents of the card in any way, or powered up with a different card before realizing you forgot to stop recording on the first one, you can still repair the file. Its a bit of a mess but with two utilities, you can get it fixed. You'll lose the close caption though.

If you modify the contents of the card in any way, or powered up with a different card before realizing you forgot to stop recording on the first one, you can still repair the file. Its a bit of a mess but with two utilities, you can get it fixed. You'll lose the close caption though.

Good to know. Best advice is to not mess with the card.

True, but it might not be right away that you forgot, especially if you change cards with a battery change.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada