DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Battery Error" - "Over Current Discharge" Warnings in Flight!

This happens to me somewhat occasionally if I really push it up and forward. But my mavic has been released from prison for quite some time now and it's no surprise seeing how blazing fast it goes when it happens

It's a balance of battery capacity, C Rating of the battery, Props, and ESC.
Maybe, the new ESC control, along with the new props "might" help that coincidental situation when you place a full load on the ESC's and a full battery drain on the battery. If they had a battery set that had maybe 10/20 more c rating points, we would not see the reporting error. C rating is the maximum constant current draw that the battery can sustain without damaging the lipo it self.

Reactions: Cookaboorra
This just happened to me going up the side of a very foggy mountain at Snoqualmie Pass in WA, It was 35 at ground level but I was about 500M up so It must have been freezing up there and I was booking around chairlifts and having a blast when the warning hit. It got home then descended then all of a sudden it said motor malfuntion and dropped out of the sky and landed about 30ft from me in the road. Thankfully nobody got hurt, but its a mangled mess now. Going to buy another one and the Statefarm insurance now.

This just happened to me going up the side of a very foggy mountain at Snoqualmie Pass in WA, It was 35 at ground level but I was about 500M up so It must have been freezing up there and I was booking around chairlifts and having a blast when the warning hit. It got home then descended then all of a sudden it said motor malfuntion and dropped out of the sky and landed about 30ft from me in the road. Thankfully nobody got hurt, but its a mangled mess now. Going to buy another one and the Statefarm insurance now.

Turn it in to dji with the log. They might replace it as a malfunction.

Prop icing ... I doubt they would even consider it. You never know though. Might be good public relations.

I had ALMOST the same issue Sunday morning...I was flying out over Long Island Sound on the shoreline in CT. My brother was fishing two miles off the shoreline in a friends boat, so I tried blasting out to BUZZ him and his buddy in Sport mode. After about 10 minutes at FULL SPEED AHEAD and 1.5 miles out I got the 'over current discharge' and besmirched myself...so did my son who was standing next to me watching the video trying to find the boat(I could smell it). I stopped and hovered, cleared the error, turned around and came back at FULL SPEED AHEAD (not knowing there was a slight head wind at this point). The first warning was 'Low Battery' (still honking at FULL SPEED AHEAD about .5 miles out), the second error was 'Critical Battery' (still couldn't see the drone, but saw it on the map, was about .25 miles out), at 3% battery I saw the drone (all the beeping and error messages coming across the screen added to the drama)...then came the 'LANDING' 'LANDING' 'LANDING' 'LANDING' whilst it was still out about 200 yards (OVER THE WATER). We were both saying WTF, WTF, WTF, NO, NO, NO NOT NOW!!!! 2%, then 1% and the drone was 50 yards out and landed on the very last sand bar off the beach. If it were high tide at the time the drone would be a total loss in salt water and I'd be out about $2,200. Jumping up and down high fiving each other. The next two batteries were used taking video HUGGING the shoreline. :eek:)

I had the same just now! This post had taught me not to be trigger happy with sport mode. I had the gimbal crazy issue earlier too and later the battery discharge error. I was RTH sport mode I couldn't see if it had shut off good thing I was about 200m up

Just happened to me. Foggy this morning. 33 degrees F (but I've flown in much colder). Took it out @ max altitude (120m) not very far, only a couple minutes and came back because I couldn't see anything. Stopped somewhere above me, circling in place (trying to figure out how to get closer to my position), then got the battery error. I stopped moving momentarily, and got the discharge message, so I started to descend straight down. Lost all control right away and it fell from the sky, making small circles slowing it from a dead drop, luckily landing in a neighbors tree.

Never had this problem before, and I've done all sorts of full forward on both sticks many, many times in past flights - pretty much all my previous flights. This time I was pretty much hovering (just turning in circles), and it started to fall from the sky.

Looks like this is a problem, and some have had it happen multiple times? That is completely unacceptable that people just need to avoid full throttle to keep from falling from the sky?? That seems to be the solution, though it wouldn't have helped in my case, but seems DJI would address this issue). Does DJI have any interest in my crash? Should I create a ticket and send my logs? My DJI care ended last week ;)

Last edited:
Ok - Follow up. Just contacted DJI. My warranty and DJI care just expired last month. So they aren't going to provide any support without charge. Guess I will wait and see if it happens again. I see a ton of reports of this issue online - I'm surprised that it is acceptable.

I used to get that fairly frequently when I first got my Mavic. It hasn't happened in a while, but this thread got me to wondering if the firmware version has anything to do with it. I think it stopped happening when I downgraded to .400. Is anyone who is experiencing this on .400?

Just happened to me. Foggy this morning. 33 degrees F (but I've flown in much colder). Took it out @ max altitude (120m) not very far, only a couple minutes and came back because I couldn't see anything. Stopped somewhere above me, circling in place (trying to figure out how to get closer to my position), then got the battery error. I stopped moving momentarily, and got the discharge message, so I started to descend straight down. Lost all control right away and it fell from the sky, making small circles slowing it from a dead drop, luckily landing in a neighbors tree.

Never had this problem before, and I've done all sorts of full forward on both sticks many, many times in past flights - pretty much all my previous flights. This time I was pretty much hovering (just turning in circles), and it started to fall from the sky.

Looks like this is a problem, and some have had it happen multiple times? That is completely unacceptable that people just need to avoid full throttle to keep from falling from the sky?? That seems to be the solution, though it wouldn't have helped in my case, but seems DJI would address this issue). Does DJI have any interest in my crash? Should I create a ticket and send my logs? My DJI care ended last week ;)

Could it be that you were getting into a down draft and did not realise it?
This Happens to me all the time. Almost every flight i do in sport++ if i keep it at 50mph or try to rise to fast.
Letting up on the sticks a little has always instantly fixed the error for me.
I have never had it come up on a perfectly calm day hovering though. It is always when there is wind or pushing sticks too far for too long.
My guess is if this is happening on a calm day while hovering with a battery that has been kept warm it is a faulty battery.

I used to get that fairly frequently when I first got my Mavic. It hasn't happened in a while, but this thread got me to wondering if the firmware version has anything to do with it. I think it stopped happening when I downgraded to .400. Is anyone who is experiencing this on .400?

Nope, And I am still on the .400 when it came out of the box!!!

Attachments

• 000b_lYEqRoT.jpg.jpg
    000b_lYEqRoT.jpg.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 15
Could it be that you were getting into a down draft and did not realise it?
This Happens to me all the time. Almost every flight i do in sport++ if i keep it at 50mph or try to rise to fast.
Letting up on the sticks a little has always instantly fixed the error for me.
I have never had it come up on a perfectly calm day hovering though. It is always when there is wind or pushing sticks too far for too long.
My guess is if this is happening on a calm day while hovering with a battery that has been kept warm it is a faulty battery.
Mine wasn't in sport mode, had only been flying for about 3 minutes. I will keep an eye on the battery. Not sure what you mean by being in a down draft and not realizing it. But it just was hovering when it got the error, then then next error came and it started falling. It was pretty calm, and the falling definitely seemed attributable to the error/malfunction as opposed to a down draft.

I just turned it on, - it requested an update to 1.04.003 and I let it do that, recalibrated everything, and took it out for a flight on the same battery. No issues, although I am now very weary about flying it (weird feeling), and didn't go very far or very fast.

Yep! I was just about to reference your thread! :p
Can i have the link 4 the thread wich Propeller i have to change? i have the same error yesterday trying to fly over 500 Meter than the error Then I landed as a precaution because I didn't know what was going on
I have the Akkus from powerextra

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom