DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Be Careful purchasing backup USB cables to attach the iPhone. to your controller

James in the Desert

Reactions
To my fellow drone enthusiasts, I'd like to share a valuable piece of advice. I recently learned the importance of being cautious when purchasing a USB cable to connect your iPhone to your controller. I went online and bought a couple of USB cables to link my iPhone with my Phantom Four Pro, but I encountered an issue. These knock-off cables, while suitable for charging your phone, may not work for transmitting data from the controller to the iPhone. So, if you're considering buying spare USB cables for connecting your remote to your iPhone, please be aware of this potential compatibility issue.

For sure, not all iPhone cables are created equally especially when you are talking about the lightning connector. Probably best to stick with original Apple.

Some cables may, by design, be charge only cables.
Also, depending on the controller, the plug that goes into the controller may need to be an OTG plug, this applies to controllers that use a micro USB TYPE A socket.
I don't know if the same thing is applicable to controillers that have USB-C sockets

Note to self, don't miss reference to the drone being an P4 whoops! Sorry

Last edited:
Some cables may, by desgin, be charge only cables.
Also, depending on the controller, the plug that goes into the controller may need to be an OTG plug, this applies to controllers that use a micro USB TYPE A socket.
I don't know if the same thing is applicable to controillers that have USB-C sockets
DJI Googles (which are USB-C sockets) all require OTG adapter whether it's IOS or Android (USB-C) for "data" connection (like sw update using Assistant or DJI Fly on your mobile) but not for re-charging the battery goggles.

Reactions: Cafguy
DJI Googles (which are USB-C sockets) all require OTG adapter whether it's IOS or Android (USB-C) for "data" connection (like sw update using Assistant or DJI Fly on your mobile) but not for re-charging the battery goggles.
Yep indeed they do but the OP is talking about a controller to phone connection

and I see I have probably boobed, I missed reference to the P4Pro which at a guess uses a USB type A socket and OTG is not applicable to that ....... I think lol. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
These days I always look for cables marked as "synch" (transfers data) and "PD" or "Power Delivery" (charges at 35W or better). Cables that can only be used to charge are useless, IMHO.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
To my fellow drone enthusiasts, I'd like to share a valuable piece of advice. I recently learned the importance of being cautious when purchasing a USB cable to connect your iPhone to your controller. I went online and bought a couple of USB cables to link my iPhone with my Phantom Four Pro, but I encountered an issue. These knock-off cables, while suitable for charging your phone, may not work for transmitting data from the controller to the iPhone. So, if you're considering buying spare USB cables for connecting your remote to your iPhone, please be aware of this potential compatibility issue.
Anker

Reactions: BigAl07
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Only one cable has ever failed me after working for about a year. And that was an Apple cable.

I’m an English major, so unless I’m in the position of asking , “Do you want fries with that?”, or the less likelihood of, “Do you need a metaphor for that?”, I get lost In the technical terms.

I did have the presence of mind to search online for that single word “Anker,” and now understand it is a data/charging cable company of some repute.

However, l’m not sure from this discussion if the interruption of signal between the drone and remote controller caused by a data cable is an all-the-time failure or an intermittent loss.

I’ve had at least one partial loss of signal, where the video feed back to the controller was frozen (as was the recording on the s.d. card), but I was still able to control the flight of my drone back to the home point.

I have controller-to-iPad cables that I bought on Amazon as “controller-to-iPad” cables. Should I revisit Amazon and buy cables with the specifications discussed here, ditching my current cables?

I apologize for my inability to follow the bread crumbs y’all are putting out!

(Attempted metaphor.)

if the interruption of signal between the drone and remote controller caused by a data cable is an all-the-time failure or an intermittent loss.
A controller to phone problem DOES NOT normally, if ever, cause a controller to drone disconnection. In certain circumstances a DJI can be flown without a phone connected to the controller or even fitted to the controller.

"(as was the recording on the s.d. card)" what micro SD card? The one in the drone? If so the recording to the card in the drone should not stop because of a controller/drone disconnection nor, for that matter, a controller/phone disconnection.

"Should I revisit Amazon and buy cables with the specifications discussed here, ditching my current cables?" if they are currently trouble free then NO.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I just look for 'suitable for drones xxx' in the description. Get right length and ends, all set. Ps, I still fly my P4P drones too. Love em.

What was your solution? I am trying to figure out how to connect my new iPhone 15 pro max to my Mavic 2 Pro controller (RC1B)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne