DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best 107 Prep

dan.utinske

Reactions
Looking for recommended Part 107 study material! Thanks

I went with Remote Pilot 101 - I see they have a special right now $149 for life... that is the part that got me, I took my first test (98%), and last year my 2 year re-test (92%)and did not have to pay any more to re-study... and they constantly update the material :)

I looked at the Remote Pilot 101, and it looks like a solid program.

I ended up not using any study materials at all, and passed anyway - but I have a fairly solid background in weather and radio, and only didn't do so well on the actual *aviation* questions, like "joining the pattern at the mid-left downwind leg."

• Haha
Reactions: Photodonn
I used Gold Seal Ground School and am very satisfied. $199 and I highly recommend them.

I also second the Pilot Institute class. Lots of information and references; short videos and and awesome instructor. They are also still offering a special; $149 for the Part 107 and a second free course called Drone Maneuvers Mastery. I am about 55% thru the Part 107 and it's pretty good. I like the fact that you can ask questions and Greg almost immediately gets you an answer.

Reactions: AnsibleMedia
My primary source of study was: This told me exactly what areas I needed to study for both the initial Certification and the Recurrent Knowledge Testing. Hence the name. AIRMAN CERTIFICATION STANDARDS

I assure you the FAA.GOV www has all the information you need, and it’s free! You can download all study material from the FAA.GOV for free, including the only source document permitted during test, the FAA-CT-8080-2H. Short title: Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement. NOTE: I recommend you purchase this booklet as a lot of answers to test question come directly from this booklet! Sectional Charts are available for free (PDF) download (Sectional Aeronautical Chart) as are Chart Supplements (download for your respective area and and use it to help study the various symbols and markings), and all other test reference material.
I did not pay for any study material and passed the initial in May 2018 (-11Q’s, not proud, but passed) and recurrent in June 2020 (-3 Q’s). I also looked at a lot of the free study YouTubes. Please also check out Lawyer Rupprecht’s web site as well at: Drone Law and Drone Attorney Assistance -

Again, absolutely everything you need for reference study is free on the FAA.GOV website.https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/

BOTTOMLINE:
No need to pay, but if you wish to, there are some wonderful offerings.

I went with Remote Pilot 101 - I see they have a special right now $149 for life... that is the part that got me, I took my first test (98%), and last year my 2 year re-test (92%)and did not have to pay any more to re-study... and they constantly update the material :)

Thank you. I just clicked on another tab, here, and bought it.

Pilot Institute is what I used and the information was very very good. The videos and infographics were very professional as well. I recommend this course. ?

Reactions: AnsibleMedia
My primary source of study was: This told me exactly what areas I needed to study for both the initial Certification and the Recurrent Knowledge Testing. Hence the name. AIRMAN CERTIFICATION STANDARDS

I assure you the FAA.GOV www has all the information you need, and it’s free! You can download all study material from the FAA.GOV for free, including the only source document permitted during test, the FAA-CT-8080-2H. Short title: Airman Knowledge Testing Supplement. NOTE: I recommend you purchase this booklet as a lot of answers to test question come directly from this booklet! Sectional Charts are available for free (PDF) download (Sectional Aeronautical Chart) as are Chart Supplements (download for your respective area and and use it to help study the various symbols and markings), and all other test reference material.
I did not pay for any study material and passed the initial in May 2018 (-11Q’s, not proud, but passed) and recurrent in June 2020 (-3 Q’s). I also looked at a lot of the free study YouTubes. Please also check out Lawyer Rupprecht’s web site as well at: Drone Law and Drone Attorney Assistance -

Again, absolutely everything you need for reference study is free on the FAA.GOV website.https://www.faa.gov/uas/commercial_operators/

BOTTOMLINE:
I second that. I used the material found in the FAA website, and binged on YouTube videos going over certain trick questions. I took whatever practice test I could find through a Google search. jrupprechtlaw.com and dronepilotgroundschool.com are definitely great sites to visit.

I spent something like a month on and off going over the material to the point I felt extremely confident with the sectionals, the airspace designations/typical shape of each class, where to use MSL and where AGL, which reports use real and which magnetic bearings ("if it's printed it's real"), the weather abbreviations in a METAR. Also I paid close attention to where you find various types of information (The Chart Supplement, Check NOTAMs, etc.), and characteristics of meteorological conditions. It sounds like a lot, but it really wasn't that much. I had fun going over and over test questions until I could answer them flawlessly.
In the end I passed with 98%. I just missed one question.

One thing to know, that I wasn't aware of, that will save you some time: You don't need to memorize all the symbols used in the sectionals. You just need to be aware of what they are and what information each one contains. During the test you are provided with a sectionals legend that you can refer to.

Maybe I spent more time self-studying compared to taking an online course, but the upshot was that I learned the subject matter in depth, which is the ultimate goal here.

One more thing: When you do a search to find how much it costs to take the test, you'll see prices in the range of $150. However, when you go online to sign up for the test, you'll find that a few test sites only charge $75. They are run by the same proctors as the $150 sites. Not sure why the difference in pricing, but you can save 50% on your test costs. So the total cost to get my Part 107 license was a mere $75.

I second that. I used the material found in the FAA website, and binged on YouTube videos going over certain trick questions. I took whatever practice test I could find through a Google search. jrupprechtlaw.com and dronepilotgroundschool.com are definitely great sites to visit.

I spent something like a month on and off going over the material to the point I felt extremely confident with the sectionals, the airspace designations/typical shape of each class, where to use MSL and where AGL, which reports use real and which magnetic bearings ("if it's printed it's real"), the weather abbreviations in a METAR. Also I paid close attention to where you find various types of information (The Chart Supplement, Check NOTAMs, etc.), and characteristics of meteorological conditions. It sounds like a lot, but it really wasn't that much. I had fun going over and over test questions until I could answer them flawlessly.
In the end I passed with 98%. I just missed one question.

One thing to know, that I wasn't aware of, that will save you some time: You don't need to memorize all the symbols used in the sectionals. You just need to be aware of what they are and what information each one contains. During the test you are provided with a sectionals legend that you can refer to.

Maybe I spent more time self-studying compared to taking an online course, but the upshot was that I learned the subject matter in depth, which is the ultimate goal here.

One more thing: When you do a search to find how much it costs to take the test, you'll see prices in the range of $150. However, when you go online to sign up for the test, you'll find that a few test sites only charge $75. They are run by the same proctors as the $150 sites. Not sure why the difference in pricing, but you can save 50% on your test costs. So the total cost to get my Part 107 license was a mere $75.
Thank you for the additional information..

BOTTOMLINE:

Late to this but I'm currently pursuing the 107 certification and wanted to thank you for this insight. I had a couple questions since I'm trying to find only the relevant material needed for the test.

I looked around the FAA website & wanted to ask if you looked over the highlighted area below?? (it was over 500 pages ?)

107 snippet.JPG

Also, when you mentioned Sectional Charts, was the below what you meant (since i'm in LA) or were there additional charts I should search for that would be on the 107 test?

https://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/PDFs/Los_Angeles_107_P.pdf

Thanks!

Late to this but I'm currently pursuing the 107 certification and wanted to thank you for this insight. I had a couple questions since I'm trying to find only the relevant material needed for the test.

I looked around the FAA website & wanted to ask if you looked over the highlighted area below?? (it was over 500 pages ?)

View attachment 114270

Also, when you mentioned Sectional Charts, was the below what you meant (since i'm in LA) or were there additional charts I should search for that would be on the 107 test?

https://aeronav.faa.gov/content/aeronav/sectional_files/PDFs/Los_Angeles_107_P.pdf

Thanks!
That book is different. That one should be centered on FW pilots, not UAS.
As for the sectional, matters not which one you download, I simply want you to view an actual Sectional Chart to get the feel for using them. The legends are all the same. But you find many interesting things in your home area to check out. Also, if you can try to download a Chart Supplement for your local airport. It will be of benefit as well.

Reactions: Maverick88

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000