DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best settings for shooting video to later extract stills

offtheback

Reactions
Have been shooting some surfing and want to shoot video so I can just hang in the air and move a bit and not depend on the timimg of the shutter release.Also 5 frames per second+then wait for camera to be ready is limiting.What would be the best frame rate,shutter speed,and other video settings for that purpose?Thanks!

Agree. Go for the highest resolution, at least 4K. Use the highest shutter speed that gives you a good exposure. Keep ISO low, preferably 100. Shoot in DLog to get the greatest dynamic range. I do this all the time and get good frame grabs.

Reactions: Captain J Case
Agree. Go for the highest resolution, at least 4K. Use the highest shutter speed that gives you a good exposure. Keep ISO low, preferably 100. Shoot in DLog to get the greatest dynamic range. I do this all the time and get good frame grabs.
Thanks so much!Is there much of a difference between 4k regular and 4k FOV?Highest FPS?

Last edited:
Did you mean less than 1/250?
Yeah that was not clear.
The fast as possible, 1/250 1/500 (unless you want blury photos)
But still so slow you can use iso100.
No ND's! :)

The color settings is depending of the situation. I personally think the sharpness should be lower, than used for video.I always think ripped photos from video is a little to sharp when using the default settings.

You can actually get pretty good photos, you will be suprised :)
Below is an example, ripped from mavic2 zoom with standard settings.

1644788217145.png

Yeah that was not clear.
The fast as possible, 1/250 1/500 (unless you want blury photos)
But still so slow you can use iso100.
No ND's! :)

The color settings is depending of the situation. I personally think the sharpness should be lower, than used for video.I always think ripped photos from video is a little to sharp when using the default settings.

You can actually get pretty good photos, you will be suprised :)
Below is an example, ripped from mavic2 zoom with standard settings.

Thanks for the clarificationYour video frame looks better than my stills!

Last edited:
Hello Corrales Dan, I see that you are close to my neck of the woods. Could you message me ? I would like to pick your brain about some of my drone settings. Nice to see someone who lives nearby to be able to connect with.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+