DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best software for multiple back-to-back missions? (in batches of 99 waypoints)

BobbyBob

Reactions
I'm wondering how each of the popular software choices handles back to back missions? This has arisen because I will have a lot of missions with more than 99 way points. I understand from the good Tim Sisson that Ground Station Pro handles it reasonably well. Has anyone had experience plz, of doing this using other software such as UgCS, Litchi, Precision flight pro, Drone-link, Flight plan, or Drone-harmony ?

I have only had experience with one such program and that is Litchi. IMHO, Litchi is a very good and capable program. The Litchi Hub is an outstanding, if not invaluable feature. I have been working lately on a very large Photo Mission for a friend. It is a 3.7 mile long mission in order to inspect an old fence in a reasonably remote area that has undulating terrain. I'm not sure how many way-points I wound up with but it became apparant as I progrogressed that I would be better off to break up my large mission into multiple smaller ones, in my case that number was 4. After I fly the mission, I'll post about it here on the forum, unless of course I fail, and then I will deny even mentioning it. :cool:

Reactions: Camino Ken and 1bad
Thanks Effects, look forwarding to hearing how that goes. Ground Station pro handles the uploading of the next mission of 99 way points quite quick and smooth, but I will need to by an I-Pad if I go for that option. I'm particularly wondering how Litchi copes with immediately uploading the next 99-way points mission in flight, and carrying on from there..

I'm particularly wondering how Litchi copes with immediately uploading the next 99-way points mission in flight, and carrying on from there..
As you are not stating what kind of missions you are performing here some input from my side:

I am doing various jobs requiring mapping large areas of land, creating 3D objects from cell towers and the results are being transferred to CAD programs for further processing.
Around 80% of the mission I had done exceeded the 99 waypoints while operating in hover and capture mode.
I have had good results in using GSPro, PIX4Dcapture, and UgCS. Also, the way handling the 99 WP limits is easy for all of them.

Depending on the aircraft you are using, the camera attached to it (Matrice series) you should test them prior.
A word to the Litch app; this app is not useful when doing mapping - Litichi is not a mapping app.
2 years back I had some experience with Precisionflight, but I dropped it because of the lack of supported aircraft.

All above mentioned flight control apps are either free or can be tested for a month.

Try these apps out:

1. GSPro
  2. UgCS
  3. MapPilot
  4. PIX4Dcapture
  5. DroneDeploy
Good luck

Very useful, thanks Keule : yep its not a mapping mission - (hence Litchi still on the short list) - its a low altitude wild flower survey to be repeated frequently and in several places (I should have said that in the first post) (you'll remember it now I've said that :) - you gave me some some insightful data estimates on the mission such as flight time and batteries needed)

As you've guessed, I'm new to drones : it's this tricky application (low alt mission on a sloping hillside - need to hug it at 5m if I can to survey the small wild flower count) that's got me into researching models and software for the job - so I'm jumping in at the deep end! Thanks for your patience and help..

it's this tricky application (low alt mission on a sloping hillside - need to hug it at 5m if I can to survey the small wild flower count)
OK, so you need 'Terrain Awareness' - an app that is able to follow the sloping terrain (up or down).
Skip GSpro then and use UgCS, MapPilot, or DroneDeploy.

Counting something (wild flowers in your case) let it be cars, trees, buildings, livestock, and so forth is a perfect scenario for mapping apps and accompanying software (i.e. DroneDeploy)

Be advised that using the builtin DEM (Digital Elevation model) in those apps is usually 1 arcsec (~30m).
You either build your own, higher resolution DEM, or buy from GIS providers and import into your flight control app.
Also, note that your drone (Mavic?) is using a consumer-grade GPS receiver - you will have to expect roughly 3m accuracy in X, Y space, and around 1.5 times more in Z-axis.

Roger that. I will therefore focus trials on on UgCS and/or DroneDeploy (You just saved me many hours of figuring out where to start).

The drone I had in mind was the "Mavic 2 Zoom" (because of the good GSD it can give for the price, and for a good gimble to help minimize blur) ...... However, you've alerted me (TQ) about the positioning accuracy concern! The Mavic 2 Zoom has GPS+GLONASS : I wonder what the chances are of that being sufficient ? perhaps I should think about stretching the budget (painfully) to an commercial drone, rather than a consumer drone?

I wonder what the chances are of that being sufficient ? perhaps I should think about stretching the budget (painfully) to an industrial drone, rather than a consumer drone?
Before you decide what you are going to buy, do you have a chance to do a test run with a Mavic 2 Zoom?
I would more look after a drone/camera combination that offers a global shutter and a decent resolution of course. A Phantom 4 Pro V2 for example.

I personally think you do not need an RTK equipped drone for your project as you described.
When you go that route anyway be prepared for an extremely high price compared to a Mavic based aircraft (we are speaking from $ 6K onwards for a P4RTK up to $20/30K Matrice RTK)

Long story short, do a test run if possible before you buy something!

Roger that - now at the stage where only experimentation will tell. Time to hire a pilot nearby in the first instance, to test the viability with Mavic 2 Zoom and work from there. Greatful for your thoughts and experience CTO Keule.

Reactions: Keule
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zzombie