DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s Big Thunder' abandoned ski jump

Jagerbomb52

Reactions
Big Thunder Ski Jumping Centre was a twin ski jumping hill located in Thunder Bay in Northwestern Ontario, Canada. It constitutes part of Big Thunder National Training Centre. The first hills were built by Knute and Thor Hansen and opened in 1963. They were originally known as Lille Norway Ski Area, then Mt. Norway Ski Area, and Sundance Northwest Resort before taking the current name. The large and normal hills were built in 1974 and the venue was taken over by the provincial government in 1985. The hills hosted 29 FIS Ski Jumping World Cup and 50 Canadian Ski Jumping Championships tournaments between 1975 and 1995, climaxing with the FIS Nordic World Ski Championships 1995. Funding was then cut and the venue has since been closed and unmaintained.

How very sad and poignant. Lovely record of past glories.
Yes very sad that someone did not take it over but at the time the area suffered a few years with very little snow, competing with 4 other ski hills in the area and just a short drive across the border (40min.) to Lutsen ski resort there was just not enough to keep it going or have someone buy it. While there flying I was talking to a lady who lives close by and said it gets it share of kids on dirt bikes and garbage. We are now down to 2 ski hills so maybe someone will come along and fix it up again.

I would have liked to have seen some closeups of the actual jump as well. Even a run down the jump and out into the air.
Yes that was my intention but I was already at 400 feet and losing line of sight from the direction of the sun so I decided to do the right thing and stay within VLOS.

Reactions: twickers14
Yes very sad that someone did not take it over but at the time the area suffered a few years with very little snow, competing with 4 other ski hills in the area and just a short drive across the border (40min.) to Lutsen ski resort there was just not enough to keep it going or have someone buy it. While there flying I was talking to a lady who lives close by and said it gets it share of kids on dirt bikes and garbage. We are now down to 2 ski hills so maybe someone will come along and fix it up again.
So interesting. Glad you got to speak to lady.

Big part of Canada's history, thank you for posting. Enjoyed viewing the video!