DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

binding replacement mini 3 pro to existing RC controller

JimSteadman

Reactions
When the new mini 3 Pro was released, I ordered it and the new DJI RC, which has the DJI Fly App pre-installed and a built-in 5.5-inch HD display. When it arrived in early June I got it set up relatively quickly and at least the controller was bound with the drone. 28 days later the new RC died suddenly of unknown causes. I contacted dji and they replaced it. But of course when it arrived, I had to bind it with my mini 3. I tried again and again and finally (I am honestly not sure why or how) they bound and all was well. Last week, while ascending in the midst of some trees, I backed the drone into an overhanging branch and it crashed on the front left arm. It would not fold up without an awful grinding sound and once folded, it was not able to be unfolded. I contacted DJI and they immediately sent a new drone which arrived this afternoon. Binding it to the RC was relatively easy, but I cannot fly it until it is ACTIVATED, and try as I might I cannot get it to do that.

I am told that I must update FlySafe and when I click the screen to do that, I get a Network connection required notation.. So I hook it up to my phone, which is on line as I speak, When I do that, I am told that I must link the RC and the drone. There is only one connection point on the RC and one on the drone. So I unplug the phone from the RC and insert the cable into the drone. No dice. the RC still says it needs a network connection and the drone just automatically shut down because it was getting too hot.

If I skip the foregoing I can get to the Activate button. It takes me to another screen where I have to click "Agree" to the terms of use and device hardware info. I click Agree and I am told to check network connection and try again.

The chief problem is that it insists that there is no internet connection. I am writing this on my laptop at my desk. The router and internet connection is on a nearby shelf. The laptop connection is wireless. My phone is sitting beside my laptop. It has a wireless internet conection. Try as I might, I cannot get the RC to connect with the internet. Suggestions?

Solution to the drone overheating is a small fan.

No idea about the controller, other than to contact DJI. Sorry.

SOLUTION DISCOVERED!

On the DJI RC there are a number of hidden screens 'behind' the screens which display but those are not mentioned in the manual. One of those pages is a settings page and when you scroll down you arrive at a toggle, which is marked "allow wifi connection." I assume that this is automatically toggled as a default setting, but mine was not toggled, so I had no ability to connect to wifi. I was directed to this by a dji rep after about an hour of back and forth texts. Once I was able to connect to my wifi, everything fell into place. So I am updated, bound and activated. Now if the rain stops and the wind dies down a bit, I will be back in the sky.

SOLUTION DISCOVERED!

On the DJI RC there are a number of hidden screens 'behind' the screens which display but those are not mentioned in the manual. One of those pages is a settings page and when you scroll down you arrive at a toggle, which is marked "allow wifi connection." I assume that this is automatically toggled as a default setting, but mine was not toggled, so I had no ability to connect to wifi. I was directed to this by a dji rep after about an hour of back and forth texts. Once I was able to connect to my wifi, everything fell into place. So I am updated, bound and activated. Now if the rain stops and the wind dies down a bit, I will be back in the sky.
I assumed you'd already tried that. Sorry, I could have mentioned it. It is in the manual, because that's where I found it. :)

The Wifi automatically turns off to prevent interference, so you may have to turn it on again next time you need it.

I assumed you'd already tried that. Sorry, I could have mentioned it. It is in the manual, because that's where I found it. :)

The Wifi automatically turns off to prevent interference, so you may have to turn it on again next time you need it.
After I saw your reply, I looked again at the manual and was unable to find a reference to that issue. I suspect that dji changes the manual as time goes on and you may be looking at a different one than I have. I printed mine a couple weeks before I got the first one. At any rate, I am glad I found this info out as there were a couple of other folks who replied to an earlier similar message who seemed to have the same problem. Thanks for advising that it will probably have to be done each time I want to update.

I suspect that dji changes the manual as time goes on and you may be looking at a different one than I have.
Could be. I think it's in the RC Controller manual, but can't recall offhand.

You'll also need to enable wifi if you want to update the map. I turn it on in the field when I need to self-unlock an area, or when I want to see the map. (Usually I fly with the radar display thingie, but sometimes the map is useful.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky