DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bit of a conundrum re which editing suite to go with?

DR has a much larger learning curve and the serious color grading tools are not in the free edition. It does however have that FREE edition and the big brother is available if you want to grow with it. That said, FCP is probably easier to use for most folks and pretty straight forward. If you're willing to invest the time my suggestion would be DR but if it's just home video kinds of stuff FCP is entirely capable.
Many thanks for your help. I think I am right in saying that F P requires a monthly subscription and if that is correct I am not really wanting to take that step. Had a look at DR on the iPad and although it is a bit different I am happy to have a bash.

As a professional filmmaker I use the Adobe Creative Cloud series which has Premiere Pro. Adobe also has non professional editing software which works very well. Take a look at Adobe.
I had a good go at Adobe Premiere a few years ago but I think there is a sub to be paid and I don’t do enough stuff to justify that. Thanks though for your help.

My niece is a professional filmmaker. She suggested I use the free Davinci Resolve if I was on a budget and didn't mind relearning a UI, or Final Cut Pro if I was willing to spend money and wanted something easier to use for a iMovie veteran.

Then after looking at the specs for my ancient iMac, she suggested sticking to iMovie, which is what I've done. 🤣
OK and thanks. You are probably right but I think I shall probably end up with DR. I fancy a bit of a challenge although I do know iMovie very well.

If you know some one using Video Edit software, ask what they use and if you could "look over their shoulder".

Once you've some idea, take couple of courses.

I use Edius and David Clarke of DVC, provides a full tutorial DVD, plus he will also assist if you get stuck.

A lot to learn with any suite to get proficient hence the idea of some lessons. Much more rapid progress.

We don't live long enough to make all the mistakes ourselves.
I’m even older than you (thanks so much for your advice) so learning is a challenge but I will have a bash at one of the suites-probably DR.

OK and thanks. You are probably right but I think I shall probably end up with DR. I fancy a bit of a challenge although I do know iMovie very well.
Well, it costs nothing to start with the free version of DR. You can always purchase FCR later if you change your mind.

So helpful and thank you for your “humble” advice. It took me a few minutes to work out that IMHO is not another editing tool but In My Humble Opinion! I’m only 13 years older than you and you shortcut like my Grand daughters!

Done 16GB unified memory and 1TB storage. Thanks for your help.
Running 64 GB unified memory and 4 TB storage. Plenty of RAM, but 4 TB of storage fills quickly. You might want some more storage, seriously!

Running 64 GB unified memory and 4 TB storage. Plenty of RAM, but 4 TB of storage fills quickly. You might want some more storage, seriously!
Ugh! Will see how I get on. Transfer of stuff from old Mac being handled by Apple as I type this.

DaVinci Resolve vote here, it's incredible how powerful it is as a free program. Coming from an older version of premiere pro, it lacks nothing so far that I've found. It will tax your hardware but editing 4k will tax any hardware.

You always need more storage. It's like a law of photography…

My photo drive is 12 TB and I'll need another soon. I dread to think what it would be if I more than dabbled in video.

Hi all, new Mac Book Air about to be ordered-first new computer for 13 years so you can imaging how creaky my current kit is! Shall I add Final Cut Pro for £299 or go with DaVinci Resolve which I can download from the App Store later, or not bother? I am not looking for a sophisticated edit tool as such but I really would like to test myself beyond iMovie which I have used for years and get on fine with. Nightmare question I know but I have read on the Forum many times how good DVResolve is but it takes a bit of getting used to, it‘s also cheaper. Suspect you will all have your favourite but a view would be gratefully received. PS I have a MA2 which could be upgraded sometime probably to a MA3.
Davinci Resolve would get my vote. It's a sod to learn from scratch, but no more so than Premiere Pro or Final Cut. Pro level tools and a really good price for the licensed version.

Davinci Resolve would get my vote. It's a sod to learn from scratch, but no more so than Premiere Pro or Final Cut. Pro level tools and a really good price for the licensed version.
Many thanks. Mac with me now and just getting to know it. Then to which edit suite to get……?!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne