DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Blurry video when turning.

Bunraku

Reactions
Hi Guys

Using Mavic Air 2S after previously having a Phantom 3 Pro and a Mavic Pro. Been flying 5 years so am an experienced pilot and have loads of created videos and content. However the issue i am having is blurry footage when turning with the AIR 2S. Forwards and Backwards and Up and Down are clear I think i’m turning fairly slowly and certainly no faster than i have always done with my previous 2 drones. But unless i turn at the most slowest for speeds then the footage is not sharp. I’ve attached a couple of examples i filmed yesterday. As soon as i stop turning the video is clear.. So i can think of 3 possible reasons for the problem.

• I’m turning too fast. unlikely, but possible. I have always filmed at 4k 30fps with faster turns than i am currently trying with the AIR 2S. I could lower the resolution or increase the FPS or both to try and remedy this , but don’t see why i should have to bearing in mind my 2 previous DJI drones didn’t blur like this.
  • My SD card is not writing fast enough. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro with a write speed of up to 90mbs and the same happens on all 3 cards.
  • There is a fault with the drone.
Anyone else experienced the same issue with the AIR 2S and were you able to resolve it?

Thanks

You don't mention a too slow shutter speed as a possible reason... what was it in your 2 examples?

Hi Guys

Using Mavic Air 2S after previously having a Phantom 3 Pro and a Mavic Pro. Been flying 5 years so am an experienced pilot and have loads of created videos and content. However the issue i am having is blurry footage when turning with the AIR 2S. Forwards and Backwards and Up and Down are clear I think i’m turning fairly slowly and certainly no faster than i have always done with my previous 2 drones. But unless i turn at the most slowest for speeds then the footage is not sharp. I’ve attached a couple of examples i filmed yesterday. As soon as i stop turning the video is clear.. So i can think of 3 possible reasons for the problem.

[*]I’m turning too fast. unlikely, but possible. I have always filmed at 4k 30fps with faster turns than i am currently trying with the AIR 2S. I could lower the resolution or increase the FPS or both to try and remedy this , but don’t see why i should have to bearing in mind my 2 previous DJI drones didn’t blur like this.
So you answered your own question here, mostly. But there's more...
[*]My SD card is not writing fast enough. I am using Sandisk Extreme Pro with a write speed of up to 90mbs and the same happens on all 3 cards.
The maximum bit rate on an Air 2S is 150mbps, but the momentary bit rate can be anything, and depends on the content of the image, specifically the amount of motion. Relize how video compression works, its looking to not re-encode any pixel or pixel group that hasn't changed, so the more pixels that change frame to frame, the higher the required bit rate. That's a pretty overly simple explanation, bit it works. When you pan or turn, you're changing most of the pixels in every frame, so the bit rate must go up. The bit rate is also a function of resolution and frame rate. So before we compare what you got before out of the Phantom 3 Pro, we need to know a whole lot more.

You certainly do have the capability to exceed the speed of the card, but when I've done that with cameras, they usually complain loudly that the card is too slow, or it can't write the file, etc. I can't check the bitrate of your video because YouTube has beaten it up. You might want try a faster card, just in case, but I think exceeding a card's speed will result in a catastrophic failure of the write.

Keep in mind that YouTube pounds the crap out of any file you upload, so if you want a real qualitative comparison, we're going to need to see original clips that haven't been recompressed by YouTube. So a file sharing service would be better, like DropBox.
[*]There is a fault with the drone.
Maybe, but more testing, and more detailed data is required.
Anyone else experienced the same issue with the AIR 2S and were you able to resolve it?
I have an Air 2S. I took a few shots that involved panning and turning a couple weeks back, and looking at the original files, I don't really see a lot of blurring, just a little. But I may not be turning at the same speed, and there's the question of shutter speed too. Too many variables to make a good comparison.

Easthetically, a bit of blurring in the background while the main subject remains sharp isn't bad, in fact, some people try for that.

Reactions: mavictk
The first example wasn't blurry at all. The POI of the tower was sharp througout. The second example, I believe is a shutter speed issue. We know that it isn't a sharpness issue because when your drone stopped everything was crisp. What was the shutter speed on the 2nd example?

The first example wasn't blurry at all. The POI of the tower was sharp througout. The second example, I believe is a shutter speed issue...
Both examples shows motion blur nothing else... in the first the narrow tower doesn't move relative the camera (besides the surface of it, but it's so narrow that you don't see the motion blur there on that distance...), that's why it's sharp but the background which moves isn't. In the second the camera is in the center of rotation looking out... so obviously everything the camera records moves, hence the motion blur all over the frame.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000