DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Body Wraps - MA2

CanadianFlyer

Reactions
I was just looking at a YouTube video about drone wraps (skins). There was a comment warning that the wrap could potentially come loose and cause an accident. Has anyone had experience with this?
It seems possible I guess but how real a problem I'm not sure.
Cheers

I can't for the life of me understand why a person would wrap a drone but with that said I can tell you on cars and good paint a wrap sticks very well and has no issues peeling even at high speeds. I don't know how well it would stick to the rough plastic however. I'm sure the prep work you do to the drone is critical to a good application. How well a wrap sticks has everything to do with the surfaces it's applied to.

Some think it helps them see it better and then others do just because.

I can't for the life of me understand why a person would wrap a drone...
I thought the same thing when I first started in the hobby a year ago, but then I realized how most of our moderators and longtime flyers wrapped their beloved Mavics.

So I used Wrapgrade for my drones, and really changed my opinion. Besides the improved appearance, it seems more visible up there. Ahh, who am I kidding? It’s all about appearance!

The high quality vinyl and adhesive offered by the popular names mentioned in this forum will stick to the rough, textured fuselage very well. Like a motor vehicle, the finished wrap looks like the finest, multi-coat polyurethane treatment. Applied properly with some patience, my Mavics have had no peeling nor adhesive separation. And I’m known to fly in high winds.

But boy...they sure look good!!

Like doing any "PREFLIGHT" checkout of your drone - you know - props and such - you should be able to "see" if your wrap is not in good shape. If not, then peel off or fix it before flying.

As many have said so well - proper prep BEFORE putting on the wrap is SUPER IMPORTANT. A good vinyl like 3M / etc. has great adhesive qualities and will last a long time - yet like paint, if not properly prepped - results won't be good.

I have not found any wraps yet, that I liked, but haven't delved into it a lot either. Getting something that is not gray - like the drone & sky color SHOULD make it more visible within a certain range. Also helps in identifying it as well should it go where it's not supposed to.

Absolutely no problem with the skins that I have used coming loose. I did infringe on the area around the bottom sensor on my spark. It was very slight but it caused the Spark to take off and climb like a rocket.
They go on and come off very easily. It's just tedious...but fun. When you pull them off your drone looks factory new.
I have to say that I hate the one I put on my Mavic Air 1. It's matte and just doesn't do it for me. It has to go..I just have to quit procrastinating over the replacement ;)

Wrapped mine back in December.....like mentioned above if you
do the correct preparation, peeling is not an issue at all. I used
Decal girl who use a very good material, very pleased with the results.
I used a Decalgirl skin, and am very happy with the results. Been on for a few months now with no problems. EA5E5978-05B7-4F92-BB13-3DA61979E755.jpeg

Does anyone know of a company in the UK that they have used for wrapping the MA2?
i checked out company's here in the ?? but because the reviews were
so good for Decal Girl and i knew someone who had used them i decided
to give them a punt. If it's the postage time your worried about, mine took
8 days from order to door which i thought was pretty good.

Reactions: A.O.
I can't for the life of me understand why a person would wrap a drone but with that said I can tell you on cars and good paint a wrap sticks very well and has no issues peeling even at high speeds. I don't know how well it would stick to the rough plastic however. I'm sure the prep work you do to the drone is critical to a good application. How well a wrap sticks has everything to do with the surfaces it's applied to.
Because it looks cool and adds personalization.
WE ARE, for the most part, over-grown boys when it comes to our toys. 80B49F28-41A5-497B-8D87-6415B7C0BA7C.jpeg

Looked better with MAS white props (which did not survive a recent tree-top encounter).
By the way...the top shell and white nose-cap were removed by me and painted with Krylon Fusion gloss spray paint (I cleaned surfaces with alcohol, did 3 coats of paint...heat lamp to cure...wet sand with 2000 [yes...two thousand] grit sandpaper...2 finish coats). You can use 600 grit LIGHTLY on any drips, blemishes, sags...etc. prior to the 2000.
My "heat lamp" is a cheap, bendable neck desk lamp with a HALOGEN bulb, which gets very hot. I set it up to be about 2 inches from surface of the paint for about 4 hours to cure. Works great!
The rest of the body is wrapped with DecalGirl gloss black. And yes, I know that in the pic the nose looks a little grainy/less shiny. I'll be spraying that again in the near future.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929