DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Brief observation on landing at night.

dannybgoode

Reactions
Was flying from a tarmac footpath last night so didn’t want to block the whole thing with a launchpad and given the path was clear of debris just took off straight from the ground.

Coming into land the landing lights came on as expected (love those lights :) ) and the drone descended as expected but then refused to land. No warnings on Go4 - just resolutely hovered at a couple of feet.

It would seem that the reflection off certain surfaces from the lights causes the drone to decide it’s not a suitable landing spot.

No biggy l, once I was certain I was good to land I just turned off the lights and down she went. Alternatively you can hand-catch or turn off the landing sensors but thought it worth at least feeding back should anyone start panicking.

She lands fine on a pad in the dark btw even with the lights on.

Reactions: ff22 and TR Ganey
Was flying from a tarmac footpath last night so didn’t want to block the whole thing with a launchpad and given the path was clear of debris just took off straight from the ground.

Coming into land the landing lights came on as expected (love those lights :) ) and the drone descended as expected but then refused to land. No warnings on Go4 - just resolutely hovered at a couple of feet.

It would seem that the reflection off certain surfaces from the lights causes the drone to decide it’s not a suitable landing spot.

No biggy l, once I was certain I was good to land I just turned off the lights and down she went. Alternatively you can hand-catch or turn off the landing sensors but thought it worth at least feeding back should anyone start panicking.

She lands fine on a pad in the dark btw even with the lights on.
I did a night Waypoint flight using Litchi a couple nights ago. Drive way was pitch black. I used my bicycle headlight as a Homepoint marker and used Precision TakeOff/Landing. The drone flew the mission without issue and landed within 3” of the takeoff point.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erhard