DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buying first drone

jffprc

Reactions
Got a friend who is wanting to buy first drone I’ve been flying a Mavic pro for years and love it but I know things have changed, what is recommended?

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I started with the DJI Spark, which is discontinued but still available.

I upgraded to the Mavic Air 2 but the (Mavic) Mini 2 wasn't available at the time.

I think the Mini 2 would be a good drone to start with as it has better handling than the original Mavic Mini.

Good luck. ?

A lot depends on your friend's perceived FUTURE needs and his willingness to part with differing amounts of money.
Without question, the best buy in the drone industry today is the DJI Air2s. The Flymore Combo will cost around $1300 but will do everything your friend would want today... and tomorrow. Next in line is the DJI Mavic Air2 (not s).

Your friend can get a refurbished Air 2 flymore combo for $850. He should not be afraid of refurbs as they are indistinguishable from "new" in every way down to the packaging. I bought a refurb Mavic 2 pro with combo pack and saved over $500 and can't believe that it wasn't "new", even after a year of flying it.

Lastly is the Mini 2. The main two advantages of the Mini 2 are weight/size and price. $600 for the Mini 2 flymore combo. But IMO you get so much more drone with either of the previously mentioned drones. If price is an issue and size/weight is not, I say go for the Air 2 refurb. If size/weight price is not an issue the Air2s beats almost everything out there, except for some features on the Mavic 2 pro.

Reactions: NG Wildman
Don't discount Obstacle Avoidance in the Mavic Air 2 - it is a very handy feature for new drone owners.

I would suggest buying a pre-owned drone from a reputable source or take his chances on Ebay. I got my first M1P on Ebay for about $550.00. I did hit a low hung branch with it and while I was upset with myself and figuring out what to do next I found another M1P at a local pawn shop and got it for $500. I did send my damaged one to Bob at Thunder Dronez and he got it repaired for about $150.00.

Bottom line is if he wants to start with a DJI quality drone he should start for as little money as possible and still get the features he wants. That way if he crashes or it ends up on the shelf he is not tying up too much money.

Got a friend who is wanting to buy first drone I’ve been flying a Mavic pro for years and love it but I know things have changed, what is recommended?
If you want to keep within the every increasing restrictions on where you can fly drones then go for the Mini 2 at less than 250 g. It's a very capable little drone and is legal almost everywhere.