DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CADW Drone Policy

lensimages

Premium Pilot
Reactions
This is the latest Drone Polici issued by CADW the organisation that looks after historical monuments in Wales, cheers LenIMG_3776.png

Well I've got big problems with their second paragraph ! Can't upload any imagery of their monuments to any publicly accessible platform ?! My YT channel is not monetised, and therefore any footage I publish there is recreational, but they make no distinction. WTF is that ?! And why should that footage be ANY different from the photos or video anyone is taking from the ground, which presumably are freely sharable anywhere, by anyone, as they should be ?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix le Chat
Well I've got big problems with their second paragraph ! Can't upload any imagery of their monuments to any publicly accessible platform ?! My YT channel is not monetised, and therefore any footage I publish there is recreational, but they make no distinction. WTF is that ?! And why should that footage be ANY different from the photos or video anyone is taking from the ground, which presumably are freely sharable anywhere, by anyone, as they should be ?!
Give them the chance and they'll all take the piss... but compared to Historic England, CADW seems positively reasonable. And then there's the National Trust which is hell-bent on charging YOU £300+ a pop for the right to shoot their assets, even when it is they who will be exclusively benefitting from the process.

I have occasionally worked with H.E providing odd images for their 'forgotten places' project and everything you shoot they automatically claim full copyright on... even the eye-candy stuff you shoot for yourself. That first time remuring turned into the last time as well.

Last edited:
Give them the chance and they'll all take the piss...
They ARE all taking the piss already - National Trust, English Heritage, this lot - that's most of them isn't it ?! And the fact that they will allow it for profit shows that it's not based on any actual concern for the monuments or structures themselves, or any nature that might be doing its thing in the area, as they tend to claim when defending their exclusionary / discriminatory policies. And there doesn't seem to be a single way open to any of us recreational flyers to challenge or question any of it, and that really winds me up too ! It's ******* outrageous, and I will happily take another hit to the swear meter to say so !

They ARE all taking the piss already - National Trust, English Heritage, this lot - that's most of them isn't it ?! And the fact that they will allow it for profit shows that it's not based on any actual concern for the monuments or structures themselves, or any nature that might be doing its thing in the area, as they tend to claim when defending their exclusionary / discriminatory policies. And there doesn't seem to be a single way open to any of us recreational flyers to challenge or question any of it, and that really winds me up too ! It's ******* outrageous, and I will happily take another hit to the swear meter to say so !
You don’t have to challenge it, any images taken belong to you, they have no say in what you do with them. You can now fly over CADW controlled structures without being bothered . I still fly from non CADW land so I can do whatever I like with my images, as long as I’m flying recreational, cheers Len

Reactions: AeroJ
There is a way to fly NT/HE/EH/CADW land assets, but (surprise surprise) it entails paying a per-flight fee to roll around in a geocage.

Altitude Angel have got their sales reps schmoozing all of the above to flog their 'Heritage Protection' package - you'll find details if you search "Guardian UTM".

Welsh Water already have this in place around many of 'their' reservoirs.

It turns out to be all about the money... they can't legally lock you out (geozone) and charge you to fly through what they reckon is "their air" but they can lock you in closer to any site or built structure of interest (geocage) and charge you what they can get away with.

You don’t have to challenge it, any images taken belong to you, they have no say in what you do with them.
Then how can they say pretty much the opposite of that in their published policy ?!

Good for you that you can find ways to do it, but there's no denying that the wretched TOAL situation is a massive PITA, less safe than taking off in proximity to what you would like to film and makes us feel like we are making stealth incursions into foreign territory or something by the lengths we have to go to to find weaknesses in their land borders !
We are NOT criminals for wanting to film this sort of stuff, and should not be made to feel like we are ! Nor should it remain the exclusive domain of the privileged few that can afford to pay their outrageous prices for it ! A lot of that land has been donated to them with the express intent that it be made freely available to everyone.

Reactions: Felix le Chat
Wording in the rules is important. It's interesting how the word "should" is used rather than an enforceable word. It's as if it is recognized be the writers that this is not an enforceable regulation or restriction. If in doubt, however, get the opinion of an attorney.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Martin Kenwood