DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration

New to drone flying
MAVIC mini
Will not allow me to fly in poor light or dark says requires calibration but whatever I do it does not seem to calibrate
HELP please
UK based
Not exactly sure what you're calibrating? The compass? The gimbal? The IMU?
Maybe a little more info and I'm sure someone around here will help if I can't.

You're definitely in the right place!

Reactions: MA2 317
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
As others have said, calibrate what?

The Mavic Mini WILL fly in the dark but you will probably have to accept or acknowledge two warning messages BEFORE the motors will start.
Be sure that the drone has a good GPS lock * before your launch otherwise the drone will be in ATTI mode with NO POSITION HOLDING or braking.
Indoors I get these warnings on virtually every flight but once the drone is airborne in a WELL LIT room the drone realises there is enough light for the VPS to work and flies perfectly well.

Outdoors in darkness the ambient light will be too low even once the drone is airborne so the drone will be relying on GPS for position holding.
DO NOT launch outdoors, in darkness in confined spaces, GPS position holding on its own may not be accurate enough to keep the drone 'away from' near by objects.
* I think the GPS count indicator is white when there is acceptable GPS lock and other colours when unacceptable but other people will need to confirm or refute that.

New to drone flying
MAVIC mini
Will not allow me to fly in poor light or dark says requires calibration but whatever I do it does not seem to calibrate
There is nothing you can calibrate that relates to flying in the dark.
You should check again to see what the warning message actually says.
It's possibly something about magnetic interference, in which case you need to turn the drone off and move away from whatever steel object is causing the message and start again.

New to drone flying
MAVIC mini
HELP please
UK based
There is an issue with Mavic Mini 2 that you have to calibrate the compass at night for some reason. Every time I tried to fly the mini 2 at night, it asked for compass calibration. At day ir doesn't ask. So maybe just calibrate the compass before flight if it asks you to.

There is an issue with Mavic Mini 2 that you have to calibrate the compass at night for some reason. Every time I tried to fly the mini 2 at night, it asked for compass calibration. At day ir doesn't ask. So maybe just calibrate the compass before flight if it asks you to.
That makes no sense at all.
Day or night has no effect on the compass and recalibrating the compass makes no change to the compass.

That makes no sense at all.
Day or night has no effect on the compass and recalibrating the compass makes no change to the compass.
I know that, and that's why I called it an issue, or bug. It is not supposed to happen, but it happens.
It also happens on the Mavic Air 1, and rarely on Mavic Air 2.
My guess is that as VPS is unavailable, the software is trying to be absolutely sure that there will be no heading issues at takeoff. But that's just my guess.

My guess is that as VPS is unavailable, the software is trying to be absolutely sure that there will be no heading issues at takeoff. But that's just my guess.
But recalibrating the compass won't make sure there are no heading issues.