DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration

I have gotten into the habit of calibrating my Mavic 2 Pro and 2 Zoom EVERY time I use it. It only takes a few seconds and I've never had any problem with a fly off etc.
Total waste of time. Placebo is the better terminology for what you’re doing.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I have gotten into the habit of calibrating my Mavic 2 Pro and 2 Zoom EVERY time I use it. It only takes a few seconds and I've never had any problem with a fly off etc.
What's even more effective at preventing those problems is understanding how the drone works including what calibrating the compass actually does.
Recalibrating your compass each flight is unnecessary and won't do anything to make your flying safer.
If your drone is flying properly, the compass is calibrated correctly and can't be recalibrated any better.
It doesn't lose its calibration.
Save the unnecessary effort and fly safer with knowledge rather than superstition.

As one travels the magnetic variation/declination changes for example The magnetic declination in Los Angeles is 13 degrees east. New York City is 13 degrees west. If you are lucky enough to be lost just west of the Mississippi River on the agonic line where the declination is zero, then magnetic north and true north are the same, so your compass reads true north
That's true but unrelated to compass calibration.
Compass calibration is unrelated to distance from anywhere or the difference between true north and magnetic north.
Calibrating the compass only measures the magnetic fields that are part of the drone so that they can be ignored so that the compass reading is accurate.
It has nothing to do with your location at all.

I live in FL and calibrated it when it did the initial set up and it never prompted me for it again. I’m currently in Maine and it prompted for a calibration the first time I flew up here and nothing since. I’m expecting it to require one the first time I fly back home.

If you are getting that warning, pickup your bird, move it about 10' & try again. Remember most man made areas have reinforcing bars in the cement which will screw up your compass reading & your bird will request a re-calib.

If you are getting that warning, pickup your bird, move it about 10' & try again.
Correction
If you are getting that warning, turn the drone off, pickup your bird, move it about 10' & try again.
It's important to have the drone initialise in a clean area away from magnetic interference.

Last edited:
When ever I get this message, I understand it is prob due to something under ground. I do turn off and move, but no matter where I move to, I can’t get rid of the notification until i actually perform the little dance.

Correction
If you are getting that warning, turn the drone off, pickup your bird, move it about 10' & try again.
It's important to have the drone initialise in a clean area away from magnetic interference.

Correction
It won't initialize if compass isn't working. On my back porch, I have to move it a few inches to get away from the nails, then lights turn green...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15