DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration

alan860

Reactions
Hi.

Does anyone else seem to get way too many compass calibration errors and need to recalibrate frequently?

More importantly is it only me that can’t seem to get the thing to recalibrate? Eventually it does, but it always takes about 30 mins and when I’m trying to stop a 3 year old running away, that kinda puts a stop to any flying.

I never have that problem. I calibrate it one time and that’s it. Are you around any metal objects when you start the calibration. Even if you’re standing on concrete you may have a problem because the concrete has rebar in it.

Sounds like your doing it in a bad location. It don’t take
but a minute if that to do a compass calibration.
Also are you useing the same spot to take off from,if so
try another spot.

Thanks guys. No I’m nowhere near any metal and usually do it in a field, today I was on a tarmac drive. It did calibrate then after flying said calibration needed redoing.

I’ll take it miles from any metal and tray again, I was just putting it down to my turning technique, too fast maybe, or maybe too jerky?

Be sure you don’t have any metal on you are near you and just be consistent in your turning . Maybe that will help.

Reactions: Thomas B
I always have to calibrate my MA compass but only takes less than a minute. I also don't have a 3 year old.

The only time I ever had to do a Compass or IMU calibration is when I first bought my Drone.

I usually have to calibrate at each start up. I have the best one time success by rotating slowly so I don't get the re-calibrate prompt.

I am constantly required to do compass calibrations on both my MM and M2Z. I agree with other members that it must be a location issue.

I calibrate the compass every time before flight. Even though the settings in the go fly app might show that it’s normal, once you start flying you will not get location information. I do the compass dance, rather than try to rotate the drone.

That is what we call the dance. Where I mess up doing it with the mini is i have to remember to hold it camera up ,not down like my others.

Instead of opening another thread about IMU calibration I thought I'd post on this one.

MM finally arrived (after a almost a month) and of course, Murphy's law applies once more. It was nice and sunny the past few days and today the wind has really picked up.

My questions is whether I need to do an IMU calibration after all the FW updates are done. I ve read the conditions on the manual about compass calibration but nothing about calibrating the IMU.

I was positively surprised to find in the box the MM manual, I thought they were shipping those without one.

I'm surprised you received a manual in your box you sure it wasn't just the quick start material ?
As far as the other about doing an IMU after updating i see where lot's don't and others do.
Myself after doing a firmware update i have always done one with all my birds.
Is just what i do.

Thank you dc, I will perform an IMU calibration after the SW update and a compass calibration prior to flying (still too windy here today).

Yes it's the complete owners manual. It wasn't included in DJI's box but was placed inside the retailer's shipping box. I think this has to do with a EU mandate that if the manufacturer does not include a manual in the country's language, they need to provide a translated version of it. Not everyone follows this but in this case they did.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52