DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera

jayefs

Reactions
If I am shooting a video using the red dot button on the front of the controller, is it possible to take a still shot at the same time by pressing the blue dot button on the front - without disturbing the video?

If I am shooting a video using the red dot button on the front of the controller, is it possible to take a still shot at the same time by pressing the blue dot button on the front - without disturbing the video?
With a Mavic Pro?
No. you have to stop video recording and switch to photo first.

Reactions: jayefs
Thank you - that sorts that out very easily
Most of the times you would want to land and take off your ND filter before starting to take pictures. With ND filter still on, you usually have a low shutter speed and a good chance that the photo will not be sharp enough. Unless you change the ISO but that introduces noise. If you want to keep flying you might just as well take stills from the video.

It's a matter of time before DJI introduces a consumer drone/camera with variable lens aperture. By then we can get rid of the ND filter swapping, and take video and photo all in the same flight.

Most of the times you would want to land and take off your ND filter before starting to take pictures. With ND filter still on, you usually have a low shutter speed and a good chance that the photo will not be sharp enough. Unless you change the ISO but that introduces noise. If you want to keep flying you might just as well take stills from the video.

You have now stumped me - What is an DN filter and did the MPP come with onealready fitted - I have put nothing on it

You have now stumped me - What is an DN filter and did the MPP come with onealready fitted - I have put nothing on it
There are a lot of threads on this forum about ND filters and why you would use them. Do a search.
But anyway:
ND filters are used to slow down the shutter speed to maximum 2 times the frame rate, by lowering the amount of light entering the lensopening. If, for instance, you use a frame rate (fps) of 30, you would want a shutter speed of ideally 1/60. This shutter speed/fps blurs the frames into eachother so it looks more cinematic. If you don't use an ND filter at all then you can always use the maximum available shutter speed when you take a photo.

However you should consider using an ND filter for filming though, unless you don't mind the risk of flickering or prop shadows (which, depending on the relative position to the sun, might appear very clear) in the end result.

There are a lot of threads on this forum about ND filters and why you would use them. Do a search.
But anyway:
ND filters are used to slow down the shutter speed to maximum 2 times the frame rate, by lowering the amount of light entering the lensopening. If, for instance, you use a frame rate (fps) of 30, you would want a shutter speed of ideally 1/60. This shutter speed/fps blurs the frames into eachother so it looks more cinematic. If you don't use an ND filter at all then you can always use the maximum available shutter speed when you take a photo.

However you should consider using an ND filter for filming though, unless you don't mind the risk of flickering or prop shadows (which, depending on the relative position to the sun, might appear very clear) in the end result.

edit: and no, there's no ND filter already attached to your Mavic lens.

It's a matter of time before DJI introduces a consumer drone/camera with variable lens aperture. By then we can get rid of the ND filter swapping, and take video and photo all in the same flight.
Some of the Phantoms have had variable apertures for a while now.

Reactions: Kilrah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone