DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly here??

Beeda

Reactions
Hello,

I am looking to get a DJI product.. I have downloaded the ‘air map’ to check my local area before purchasing and was surprised to see I’m in a restricted zone..

Having not used air map before, it has an amber advisory warning around my home, and when zoomed out a red warning due to our local airport.. (Southampton UK)

My location is the green dot. Can I take it I can’t launch in the amber zone at all??? Or would I need permission every time I take off?? Or is it a precautionary warning and can still fly but with care? The Red area I get is a definite ‘NO’.. I just want to be 100% before I purchase.

thank you in advance
Paul

1DF54D8B-74C1-4F58-AAC5-A3EB2A82D3CF.png1764C903-C6ED-45CC-A3DC-7D123CB63DAC.png

You're in controlled airspace according to AirMap. You can click on the Required Rules to know better I think. And I don't think you can take off within the amber zones as the one close to you look like the runway of the airport.

These software are often frustrating because it's not clear what you can do, what you can't (unless it's a complete NFZ) and eventually the limitation.
At least to me.

Reactions: Skyfli
Hello,

I am looking to get a DJI product.. I have downloaded the ‘air map’ to check my local area before purchasing and was surprised to see I’m in a restricted zone..

Having not used air map before, it has an amber advisory warning around my home, and when zoomed out a red warning due to our local airport.. (Southampton UK)

My location is the green dot. Can I take it I can’t launch in the amber zone at all??? Or would I need permission every time I take off?? Or is it a precautionary warning and can still fly but with care? The Red area I get is a definite ‘NO’.. I just want to be 100% before I purchase.

thank you in advance
Paul

View attachment 99753View attachment 99754
Hi Paul,

You’re best to check on something like Skydemon to be sure, but it looks like you are in the Southampton CTA - which doesn’t start until 2,000 feet, so you should be good to go (as you can’t fly above 400ft). Would be good to check with someone who can read the air maps properly though, possibly even Southampton airport - give them those co-ordinates and they could confirm for definite.

Fingers crossed.

Sully

Hi Paul,

You’re best to check on something like Skydemon to be sure, but it looks like you are in the Southampton CTA - which doesn’t start until 2,000 feet, so you should be good to go (as you can’t fly above 400ft). Would be good to check with someone who can read the air maps properly though, possibly even Southampton airport - give them those co-ordinates and they could confirm for definite.

Fingers crossed.

Sully
Thank you All, I've been chatting to some local drone businesses who fly hear a lot and they have clarified in Amber I can fly but in Red zone it will not allow me to take off.. much appreciated Paul

Reactions: Sullyspurs
I live in the same zone of Bournemouth airport and I keep well away from the red zones. The drone issues a warning about controlled air space, but allows me to fly. Airports or areas where you cannot fly are likely geofenced, so a DJI drone should not fly there if you tried.

Reactions: Beeda
For anyone in the UK, do *not* use Airmap. It simply isnt accurate enough.
Use DroneAssist/Altitude angel for the proper data.
Certainly dont rely on Go4 either.

FWIW:- Drone Safety Map | Altitude Angel

Its in the southampton CTR but you *can* legally fly there. Carefully. You're allowed to fly "in" or below controlled airspace a 400ft or below so its ok.

You're awfully close to the extended centreline flight restriction zone though so if you fly, make sure dronecode is followed at all times and be aware you'll get warnings off DJI.

Attachments

• Annotation 2020-05-19 114217.jpg
    Annotation 2020-05-19 114217.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: RonW and Beeda
thank you all.. really appreciate your input.. its been really helpful and I'm confident to buy now... cheers Paul

Hi everyone,

I'm confused... and I know it probably seems like a stupid question. I live near Heathrow, and my parent's house is about 10 metres into the restricted airspace radius of Heathrow airport. There is a local common area that is also in the restricted airspace.

Can I confirm that even if I was using the drone at around 2 metres above the ground (acting as a spare camera person) this would still be breaking the law? I totally understand the need for restrictions, but I would have expected there to be more variations. From totally restricted to no more than 50m high, no more than 10 metres high etc. It just seems weird. If you don't go higher than a house or nearby tree, how are you a danger?

Can I confirm that even if I was using the drone at around 2 metres above the ground (acting as a spare camera person) this would still be breaking the law? I totally understand the need for restrictions, but I would have expected there to be more variations. From totally restricted to no more than 50m high, no more than 10 metres high etc. It just seems weird. If you don't go higher than a house or nearby tree, how are you a danger?

Yes you would be breaking the law. If its off the ground its flying. Its as clear as that.
There are some cases with altitude restrictions but not in this scenario.

You'd likely find it would simply refuse to take off anyway. You can HOLD it 2m off the ground and use it as a camera though!

Yes you would be breaking the law. If its off the ground its flying. Its as clear as that.
There are some cases with altitude restrictions but not in this scenario.

You'd likely find it would simply refuse to take off anyway. You can HOLD it 2m off the ground and use it as a camera though!

Sad news. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I get it in as much as safety is important, and people will push limits. But it seems weird that flying at knee-height would cause a risk to aircraft. Shame really.

Haha, yes, I could hold it. But isn't as steady, and could just buy a camera and a gimbal... which I have. It was all the reviews of the Mavic Air 2 that got me into the idea. I come from a photography and videography background and watching the reviewers have their drone follow them around while skateboarding or cycling seemed like a great idea. I'm pretty sure that could be done safely within a 10-metre ceiling. Just seems a shame. Guess I won't be getting one now :(

Sad news. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I get it in as much as safety is important, and people will push limits. But it seems weird that flying at knee-height would cause a risk to aircraft. Shame really.

Haha, yes, I could hold it. But isn't as steady, and could just buy a camera and a gimbal... which I have. It was all the reviews of the Mavic Air 2 that got me into the idea. I come from a photography and videography background and watching the reviewers have their drone follow them around while skateboarding or cycling seemed like a great idea. I'm pretty sure that could be done safely within a 10-metre ceiling. Just seems a shame. Guess I won't be getting one now :(
I guess the logic is that it’s easier to police a no-fly zone than an only fly below 10m zone?

Reactions: Beeda

The 2 reasons for this are (i) you cant trust everyone to stay low level and (ii) in the event of a fault the drone could easily climb way above 2m,10m,200m suddenly with no warning and cause problems.

You'd be surprised how good the gimbal is for walking/carry around though!

i live a mile from ema (east midlands airport). my ma2 wont take off within a 5km radious of airport

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7