DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cannon Beach Crash

Reelman67

Reactions
To the guy that lost his Mavic Pro in the ocean today, it washed up on the beach, and someone picked it up and turned it in to the city of Cannon Beach. I saw it. The version with the Hasselblad camera.

That be a Mavic2Pro and thank you for posting .6786767868

Reactions: TR Ganey
If there was possibly a questionable flight involved, the authorities could have taken the card to try to ID the operator??
Praps they could've just waited till he came to pick it up???
Dunno!!!

If there was possibly a questionable flight involved, the authorities could have taken the card to try to ID the operator??
Praps they could've just waited till he came to pick it up???
Dunno!!!
The flight looked to be in a legal area to fly, just poor judgment.

isn't flying around cannon beach illegal? or at least that's what I read around.

Thanks!

Only within 2,000' of Haystack Rock. The north portion of the beach should be ok

oh ok, that sounds reasonable. and how about Ecola Park? is there an official website where I can find these info?

Thanks again!

Generally speaking, where there are nesting birds, or designated wildlife preserves, drone flying is off limits. Oregon is a bit more relaxed about drone flying along the coast than Washington State. NOAA has restricted all aircraft from flying along much of the north half of the coast, and certainly rules out drone flying for dure.

oh ok, that sounds reasonable. and how about Ecola Park? is there an official website where I can find these info?

Thanks again!
I believe you're out of luck at Ecola. No drone flying allowed there is my guess.

Oregon State Parks had jurisdiction over much of the Oregon coast. Google it and find out.

Actually many state parks in Oregon DO allow you to fly, you have to look for postings. That being said, much of the Oregon coast is National Wildlife Refuge area, thus you are not supposed to fly there. I believe any islands, rocks, reefs and such are off limits all along the mid and northern coastlines due to the birds nesting thing, but Oregon does allow flights on many of its beaches... just not around crucial habitats. The above Sectional by AMann used the incorrect sectional (because it is for 4000' and above flights) thus it could be confusing. If you look where the green arrow is that I drew on the map near Tillamook this actually shows a set of rocks that are part of a refuge, some like haystack rock may not be big enough for the sectional. One other thing to note, B4UFLY and Airmaps do not reveal this as restricted airspace, so fly carefully. Visit -Safeskiescampaign.com

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 3.51.33 PM.png

Last edited:
Actually many state parks in Oregon DO allow you to fly, you have to look for postings. That being said, much of the Oregon coast is National Wildlife Refuge area, thus you are not supposed to fly there. I believe any islands, rocks, reefs and such are off limits all along the mid and northern coastlines due to the birds nesting thing, but Oregon does allow flights on many of its beaches... just not around crucial habitats. The above Sectional by AMann used the incorrect sectional (because it is for 4000' and above flights) thus it could be confusing. If you look where the green arrow is that I drew on the map near Tillamook this actually shows a set of rocks that are part of a refuge, some like haystack rock may not be big enough for the sectional. One other thing to note, B4UFLY and Airmaps do not reveal this as restricted airspace, so fly carefully. Visit -Safeskiescampaign.com

View attachment 72063
I do not disagree with anything you've said here but the reality is, when you do go to Cannon Beach, you will find signs by some government entity, whether it be Oregon State Parks, the City of Cannon Beach, or some wildlife bureaucracy, that drone flying is banned within 2,000 feet of Haystack Rock. Whether you agree with it or not, it is best to pack up the drone and fly elsewhere. These charts are helpful, but do not reflect all local restrictions. To defy the local regulations does not help our cause, to inform the public about responsible UAV flying. In my earlier post, I mentioned NOAA as restricting aerial flights of any kind along the northern Washington coast. Some may have thought I was speaking of the Oregon coast.

Reactions: chuck1026
I live on Oregon coast and familiar with local laws. While wildlife refuges such as the the haystack rock are protected by the federal law, there’s are no federal law that ban local state parks such as Ecola. Local authorities have no jurisdiction over the national airspace. The reason for banning drones over Ecola is there are too many people, which to me is not a valid reason. I also found that the reason drones are banned at Smith Rock is because it’ll distract rock climbers and cause accidents. It’s ironic that they have no problem climbers distracting the ecosystem and the natural settings

Yes, I realize what you are saying, that only the FAA controls the national airspace, but in Washington State, the state parks system allows drone flying by permit only, per occurrence. If you try and bypass their rules, then your takeoff and landing zones need to be outside the park, thus making it problematic at best. I am assuming that Ecola (in Oregon State Parks system) is no different (birds of a feather flock together). It is a large park, thus where you gonna take off from and land? This is the problem when trying to fly in highly scenic regulated areas. I, for one, don't want to deal with it, as I try to live by the rules, such as they are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent