DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caught and punished in Canada?

What app do you use for identifying safe/legal flying locations in Canada? I’m surprised at how many Aerodrome locations there are that are tiny but still registered. Out of curiosity I searched near a house I lived in that was in a small subdivision (30 houses) in the country (some places there that I though would be great to fly) but was surprised to find basically a one person Aerodrome registered with TC that was only about 2 miles away.
I think a lot of people use air map but it’s far from exhaustive . There used to be a more accurate map on the government of Canada transport web site but I can’t seem to find it anymore...
Asa far as people being “caught and punished” I can really only think of one incident that occurred several years ago. A guy was flying his drone within view of YYC nad he was charged with some serious crimes,but he fought it and as far as I know,he was never actually convicted. But I suppose the cost of defending yourself in court wouldn’t be worth it. I just try to fly away from the city. Most people wouldn’t even consider bothering someone who’s flying out in the sticks....it wouldn’t be very Canadian ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wade Gizzy
The small aerodromes are all over the place.anybody can have a helipad or dirt strip it seems. I think you just have to stay as far away from a private helipad as a public one.

I use an app called UAV Forecast. It not only tells me of the current flying conditions weather wise , but also can display of u are near or in a no fly zone and gives a forecast of upcoming weather as well.. free for hobby use , pay if u have a drone related business.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-31.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-31.png
    499.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-40.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-40.png
    647.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-22.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-05-17-51-22.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: Wade Gizzy
I use an app called UAV Forecast. It not only tells me of the current flying conditions weather wise , but also can display of u are near or in a no fly zone and gives a forecast of upcoming weather as well.. free for hobby use , pay if u have a drone related business.

Nice app! Are all those areas in any shade of colorization no-fly zones?

Hey thanks. That is a good app. Shows the small aerodromes that other apps have not shown.
Looking at the wide view of southern Ontario is rather depressing!
a2686d0458c1153fcfe887da68c484a4.jpg

I might have been known to break a few Canadian rules by flying higher than allowed and to flying with the drone out of sight the odd time. But I'm also fortunate where I live in Manitoba, Canada...

There are only two houses within a mile of my place and 20 miles away from where I live is one of my favorite flying spots.. It's literally "In the middle of nowhere".

WOW! That is some FLAT country! You would be impressed with flying in Arizona.

Hey thanks. That is a good app. Shows the small aerodromes that other apps have not shown.
Looking at the wide view of southern Ontario is rather depressing!
a2686d0458c1153fcfe887da68c484a4.jpg

Make sure you adjust the app parameters to match that which country you are in ( USA/ Canada ) . so for example in Ontario Canada if one looks up Transport Canada rules then make the necessary tweaks on the app to match some of the restrictions.. this way you are sure to be flying in a good to fly zone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
360Guy