DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cell phone signal

Oman

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hello I have a quick question, here it goes. I have Air 2S do I need a cell phone signal to fly my Drone or can I just use the WIFI OR BLUETOOTH in the phone?
Thank you and fly safe
oman

Reactions: Hidden
Hello I have a quick question, here it goes. I have Air 2S do I need a cell phone signal to fly my Drone or can I just use the WIFI OR BLUETOOTH in the phone?
Thank you and fly safe
oman
There is a caveate. You need a cell phone signal, to get a wifi signal, to get a LAANC approval if your in a restricted zone. No approval and you'll be distance and altitude restricted or unable to take off at all. I saying this, because it happened to me. Sometimes, the DJI app asks for my telephone number and sends me a code to make sure it's me. Weird.

There is a caveate. You need a cell phone signal, to get a wifi signal, to get a LAANC approval if your in a restricted zone. No approval and you'll be distance and altitude restricted or unable to take off at all. I saying this, because it happened to me. Sometimes, the DJI app asks for my telephone number and sends me a code to make sure it's me. Weird.
I'd highly suggest "researching" your flight zone prior to going versus finding out when you're there.

People put their phones / tablets on AIRPLANE mode to block an issues with apps that may or may not cause issues with FlyApp or more likely the device itself - esp if you're an Apple person.

Since my tablet is Wi-Fi only - I have none of the cell / app issues and I've removed most of the apps I'd never use anyway.

Having Aloft (former Kittyhawk), UAV Forecast, or several other apps to look at your planned flightpath prior to going out will help to know before you fly and unlock any zones that may be in the area.

You don't need cell phone signal, or bluetooth or wifi
None of those are needed to fly.
that would be my answer but as others have said you do need internet connection in some circumstances...first time initialization for instance and air space issues. Otherwise I think it's best to fly in airplane mode

Reactions: tlswift58
that would be my answer but as others have said you do need internet connection in some circumstances...first time initialization for instance and air space issues. Otherwise I think it's best to fly in airplane mode
I would hope a "newbie" would not be going out to some odd location on their first flight. Someone who is drone proficient possibly would, but I'm sure they know they need to do all the setup (firmware checks / etc.) within "Internet" range and preferable with a wi-fi connection - not using cell phone data.

Checking your flying location at home before you fly should be on everyone's checklist to do - just to be sure you aren't planning to fly in a NFZ / restricted zone. Esp if you are not familiar with the area - like flying on a vacation / etc. Good habit to get in to for everyone.

I would hope a "newbie" would not be going out to some odd location on their first flight. Someone who is drone proficient possibly would, but I'm sure they know they need to do all the setup (firmware checks / etc.) within "Internet" range and preferable with a wi-fi connection - not using cell phone data.

Checking your flying location at home before you fly should be on everyone's checklist to do - just to be sure you aren't planning to fly in a NFZ / restricted zone. Esp if you are not familiar with the area - like flying on a vacation / etc. Good habit to get in to for everyone.
Often, on vacation, I don't know where i'm going to stop. Like a road trip. I just take the drone in case. If needed though, I can turn my phone into a hotspot, if I need a wifi connection and my r/c is using a tablet.

LAANC approval has nothing to do with the drone itself restricting you from where you are flying. LAANC is just for obtaining legal permission to fly. You need to separately get the unlock from DJI after confirming that you are legal to fly, that is what enables your takeoff in a geofenced area with a DJI drone.

LAANC approval has nothing to do with the drone itself restricting you from where you are flying. LAANC is just for obtaining legal permission to fly. You need to separately get the unlock from DJI after confirming that you are legal to fly, that is what enables your takeoff in a geofenced area with a DJI drone.
Oh cccrap. I think I'm uniformed about something. When DJI asks you all those questions and then they let you fly, and the blue zone on the map becomes clear, they aren't givinng you a LAANC aproval????
If DJI's software has nothing to do with LAANC, do I need an APP to get laanc. If so which APP do you suggest.

Oh cccrap. I think I'm uniformed about something. When DJI asks you all those questions and then they let you fly, and the blue zone on the map becomes clear, they aren't givinng you a LAANC aproval????
If DJI's software has nothing to do with LAANC, do I need an APP to get laanc. If so which APP do you suggest.

Correct, DJI isn't giving you a LAANC approval. You need to also use a LAANC app such as AirMap, KittyHawk (now called "Aloft"), etc.

You've been flying illegally in controlled airspace if you haven't been doing this so far. Gulp.

Correct, DJI isn't giving you a LAANC approval. You need to also use a LAANC app such as AirMap, KittyHawk (now called "Aloft"), etc.

You've been flying illegally in controlled airspace if you haven't been doing this so far. Gulp.
Well, At least I found out the area I was flying in is Class G. But DJI is putting a Blue BOW TIE over it, when it's a Glass G executiive / private airport. That doesn't need LAANC, correct?
Never mind I answered my Own question:
From ALOFT- First, the answer is, yes, you can fly your drone near small airports in uncontrolled airspace. Only airports located in Class A, B, C, D, & E2 controlled airspace require LAANC authorizations to operate near or around. Many smaller municipal, regional, executive airports around the country are located in Class G uncontrolled airspace, meaning you do not need a LAANC authorization to operate near or around them.

Last edited:
WHY is DJI putting Solid Blue BOWTIE GEOFENCING inn class G airspace over small municipal executive airports, when LAANC aproval is not needed to fly near them?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60