DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cellular data required?

rwilliam99

Reactions
I've been reading the entire mavic mini manual, and it contains this statement:

Mobile cellular data is required when using DJI Fly. Contact your wireless carrier for data charges.

I've flown it in areas without cell data - why is this there and what happens when you fly in an area without cell data? Since my intention is to use this when I hike, and the majority of places I hike don't have cell service, this concerns me a bit.

Other than needing to do the GPS fencing (which should be able to be downloaded and cached), I don't understand why you'd need a cell connection.

What am I missing?

Updates at distance from accessible WiFi I’d guess.

The word "required" is what bothers me - if it is truly required than something is not going to work correctly if you don't have it. It is merely "recommended", then that is a different story. And the manual doesn't say why it is required.

Likely just so DJZi can update in the field. I never have had a problem, but do not use a phone to fly. Either SC or CS.

The word "required" is what bothers me - if it is truly required than something is not going to work correctly if you don't have it. It is merely "recommended", then that is a different story. And the manual doesn't say why it is required.
It's just another of several poorly worded and confusing things that can be found in DJI documentation.
You might need internet data to update the app or to sign in to your DJI account but you definitely do not need any internet data to fly with the app.

It's just another of several poorly worded and confusing things that can be found in DJI documentation.
You might need internet data to update the app or to sign in to your DJI account but you definitely do not need any internet data to fly with the app.

So just like most documentation these days then? :D

Thanks for confirming - after losing my first mini, I'm trying to be much more informed and careful about flying it. So far, so good!

I got my mini three days ago and used my Samsung s10e at first. The app crashed three times in a short five minute flight in the back yard. Took my old Samsung S7, reset the phone and only installed the DJI Fly app. While at home and connected to wifi I zoomed in and out of the Map in the areas that I intended to fly.

The next morning I flew in that area - no data service since it had no SIM card - and had a great flight with no app crashes and had the map available and working just fine. I guess DJI wrote the manual the way they did in case you need an unlock code for the NFZ in the field.

I highly recommend using a dedicated device rather than your active phone. For me it works much better.

I got my mini three days ago and used my Samsung s10e at first. The app crashed three times in a short five minute flight in the back yard. Took my old Samsung S7, reset the phone and only installed the DJI Fly app. While at home and connected to wifi I zoomed in and out of the Map in the areas that I intended to fly.

The next morning I flew in that area - no data service since it had no SIM card - and had a great flight with no app crashes and had the map available and working just fine. I guess DJI wrote the manual the way they did in case you need an unlock code for the NFZ in the field.

I highly recommend using a dedicated device rather than your active phone. For me it works much better.

I use my regular phone (I don't have my previous phone - traded it in) - I've not had any app crashes thus far.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji