DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Censors on bottom of Mini

Donut

Reactions
I see the two censors on the bottom of the Mavic Mini but what is the censor between them. Is that some type of censor too.
Doug

The outer two bottom sensors are infrared, one transmits and the other receiver gauging the distance below. It is for short range, maybe 16 inches? It's what senses the ground and slows the decent when landing. The center sensor is an optical lens and visually detects ground contrast to aid in the mini's positioning along with GPS and other data. It is more effective at holding position at lower heights, maybe 30 feet and less. It can be confused if over surfaces with no contrast or reflective or moving surfaces, some report it can cause descents/ascents at low levels over water.

Hope my explanation helps. For a better one here's a link to the MANUAL. It's a good read. I'm still learning from it.

I see the two censors on the bottom of the Mavic Mini but what is the censor between them. Is that some type of censor too.
Doug
Page 15 of your manual https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_Mini/20200212/Mavic_Mini_User_Manual_v1.0_EN.pdf
... has the answer:
i-2cFsTgw-L.jpg

The outer two bottom sensors are infrared, one transmits and the other receiver gauging the distance below. It is for short range, maybe 16 inches? It's what senses the ground and slows the decent when landing. The center sensor is an optical lens and visually detects ground contrast to aid in the mini's positioning along with GPS and other data. It is more effective at holding position at lower heights, maybe 30 feet and less. It can be confused if over surfaces with no contrast or reflective or moving surfaces, some report it can cause descents/ascents at low levels over water.

Hope my explanation helps. For a better one here's a link to the MANUAL. It's a good read. I'm still learning from it.

Wow thanks.
That’s good to hear. So I’m guessing if I use a landing pad so their is more contrast it may land closer or on it rather than a few feet away. And I understand nothing is perfect.
And yes I already have the manual download.
Thank you.
Doug

It’s just measuring distance and not comparing images for landing accuracy. So they will not help with landing accuracy for the mini, it’s all gps

Reactions: CommanderKJDF
I understand. I know it won’t and hasen‘t been accurate but I’m happy if gets within a few feet., then I just bring it in.
thank you.
Doug

I understand. I know it won’t and hasen‘t been accurate but I’m happy if gets within a few feet., then I just bring it in.
thank you.
Doug
Some drones have a "precision landing system" that tries to visually recognize a landing pad and hit it, but the Mini does not. It only uses GPS, so getting closer than a few feet is just a matter of luck.

Reactions: RMS001 and Donut
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReDRuM702