DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

3 Ceres Chicago Board of Trade

dispatchdoggo

Reactions
Grabbed a few pictures the other day of the statue, Ceres the Roman goddess of agriculture, at the top of the Chicago Board of Trade building. The artist, John H. Storrs, designed the statue to fit the art deco style of the building and to honor the commodities exchanged at the Chicago Board of Trade.

Attachments

• dji_export_1645987868173~2.jpg
    dji_export_1645987868173~2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
  • dji_export_1645987914705 (3).jpg
    dji_export_1645987914705 (3).jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 35
  • dji_export_1645987866488.jpg
    dji_export_1645987866488.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 36
Very cool photos! I've shot here, but the geofence blocks my drone at 400ft I believe. How did you get as high as Ceres? Ty!

Very cool photos! I've shot here, but the geofence blocks my drone at 400ft I believe. How did you get as high as Ceres? Ty!
I just set the max height to 1,640, which no DJI drone can be set to exceed. This is legal for Part 107 pilots.

I just set the max height to 1,640, which no DJI drone can be set to exceed. This is legal for Part 107 pilots.
Hey, thanks for the reply. Interesting, I've done the same (and am also Part 107 certified) but still get blocked by a geofence around the Board of Trade...I wonder if there's any way around that?

Hey, thanks for the reply. Interesting, I've done the same (and am also Part 107 certified) but still get blocked by a geofence around the Board of Trade...I wonder if there's any way around that?
The way around it is to request that the Midway geozone over that area is unlocked through DJI. Then you can go higher based on your unlocking request.

The way around it is to request that the Midway geozone over that area is unlocked through DJI. Then you can go higher based on your unlocking request.
Got it, thanks. Do you have to submit an approved permit or anything when requesting that the geozone be unlocked for a flight around Ceres?

Got it, thanks. Do you have to submit an approved permit or anything when requesting that the geozone be unlocked for a flight around Ceres?
I don't think that's the issue. The zone is good to nearly 500' per the DJI Zone Map. However, just to the SE of the CBOT, is a prison. It's just a small triangular area, but depending on where you're taking off, it might be in your way. I don't see any other restrictions in that area.

Reactions: dispatchdoggo
I don't think that's the issue. The zone is good to nearly 500' per the DJI Zone Map. However, just to the SE of the CBOT, is a prison. It's just a small triangular area, but depending on where you're taking off, it might be in your way. I don't see any other restrictions in that area.
Yes, you're right about the cap around there being close to 500 ft in the app, but the Board of Trade is around 600 ft (which is why I'm wondering if an unlock request is needed).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here--I haven't submitted any unlock requests yet or requested any permits, so I could be lacking on some details. Let me know though if you can help or clarify what I'm misunderstanding. I'd love to be able to fly closer to Ceres!

Last edited:
Yes, you're right about the cap around there being close to 500 ft in the app, but the Board of Trade is around 600 ft (which is why I'm wondering if an unlock request is needed).

Unless I'm misunderstanding something here--I haven't submitted any unlock requests yet or requested any permits, so I could be lacking on some details. Let me know though if you can help or clarify what I'm misunderstanding. I'd love to be able to fly closer to Ceres!
You are right the top of the board of trade building is up around 600ft. Depending on your takeoff point you may not need an unlock.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143