DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cheaper drone suggestion for a newbie before they buy the more expensive mini?

I'll offer a contrarian view.

The "cheap" drone I learned to fly on was the GPS enabled MJX Bugs 2. The current model is the Bugs 3 MJX BUGS 3 Entry-level Brushless RTF Drone - Bugs Series - MJX | Dream Of The Future I just can't understand how they can package that much technology into a product that costs a hundred bucks. the camera on it was junk but the speed, maneuverability, power and responsiveness were awesome. The DJI drones are slow and conservative by comparison and by the time I upgraded to a Phantom, I had all the skills for absolute confidence and control.

I crashed the Bugs a few times but parts were available and I was able to replace even the entire plastic airframe.

All that said, don't buy a drone without GPS and some kind of live video feed because you will be frustrated.
And make sure it has an SD slot to record on-board video!

I little late but for what it's I picked up my Tello and MM2 refurbished from the link below and both were in perfect shape and have flow great. Both came with a warranty. It's a little more then you want to spend but worth the extra bucks to get a nice drone with a warranty.

I have been using the Xiaomi Fimi X8SE 2022 V2 drone and it is absolutely terrific. Cost is higher at $429 but the range surpassed any of my 4 DJI drones (Mavic Pro, Mavic Zoom, Mavic Air and Phantom III). I purchased the $300 remote controller and now never suffer disconnects due to conneciton cords. And the remote is very easy to see in the daylight. I realize this is more than the $100 you wanted to spend but it works as well and in some cases better than any of my 4 DJI drones. The only difference is there are no sensors. But if you fly conservatively you really do not need them. I bought mine for risky flights over long distances. Today I purchased another Fimi X8SE 2022 (drone only no battery or controller) for $300. as a back up. Since I have the Fimi 2019 & 2020 I have plenty of batteries and controllers. This drone operates in the rain and is level 8 wind resistent. I have flown it in strong winds and storms with no issue at all. I'm not keen on doing that with my $1500 Mavic Zoom. But if anything happens to this drone it only cost me $300 to replace it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929