DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cinematic Footage Settings

john2k

Reactions
I came across the following youtube video, which talks about ways to reduce the speed of the gimbal, sounds really good. But wondering if anyone else does this, is there any advantage to this as apposed to just quickly switching to tripod mode for example? Because if I understand correctly, tripod mode is a mode preset with EXP settings for slow gimbal rotations etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You might want to watch this video, as that explains all the differences :)
Tripod mode slows everything down, including the aircraft's actual speed. Whereas the Gimbal pitch, Yaw Endpoint and EXP settings can be changed once to give you smoother movements for all flights whilst stil flying at normal speed..
Cheers
Ian

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: JeoFin and john2k
Thanks, So do you think it's better to set the Gimbal pitch, Yaw Endpoint and EXP settings for best slow movement capture? that way i can fly up to wherever and then when adjusting the gimbal it will go nice and slow. Once I am recording if I need to then slow down the speed then can I switch to Tripod mode while it is still recording? Or other option is also to go up in normal mode and once ready to record put it on tripod mode

Thanks, So do you think it's better to set the Gimbal pitch, Yaw Endpoint and EXP settings for best slow movement capture? that way i can fly up to wherever and then when adjusting the gimbal it will go nice and slow. Once I am recording if I need to then slow down the speed then can I switch to Tripod mode while it is still recording? Or other option is also to go up in normal mode and once ready to record put it on tripod mode
Yes!
I did a lot of playing about for this video and as mentioned, slowing down the Yaw Endpoint is one of the most important settings, along with the EXP setting.
Really, Tripod mode is only useful if you're very close up to trees or in a tight space and want to fly very slowly....Cheers
Ian

Reactions: Odom1957 and john2k
I agree with above on tripod mode. It is useless if shooting hundreds of feet away. Moving at 20mph when shooting a new school yesterday was almost too slow even. In tripod mode, max speed is like .001 miles per year, or something like that! (3mph really)

Maybe I should use the word filming in lieu of shooting. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea here!

Reactions: Ian in London
Ian, excellent video!

I still find the tripod mode helpful even flying at altitude.

If you look at a lot of video footage taken from land-based cameras (even films at the theater / on the TV), there is always movement. Often, that movement is small, not really changing the perspective / lighting of the subject (people talking} but is more interesting than a static tripod shot. I'm guessing that most people reading this knows what "dolly shot" means, and they're often done very slowly.

Before the Mavic, I used ATTI mode for slow movement -- just turn off GPS on a mild day and let the drone drift to add small movements.

Obviously, tripod doesn't work for long traveling sequences (covering a good distance of sea shore, or tracking a vehicle). Or if you want a nice sweeping shot with the POV racing over a field of grass / body of water at a low altitude.

But slow movement is useful too in many cases, not just close to bushes on the ground.

Ian, if you were to make a new video on this, I would like to suggest giving a more detailed difference between Tripod and Cinematic Mode. I too prefer to change the settings for smooth manual movement, but I like to understand the tools at hand in case they come in handy in a pinch.

I'll go out and figure the differences between the two intelligent flight modes myself, but it was the main reason I watched the video, so that last few seconds were a bit lacking for me.

Chris

Reactions: Ian in London
Ian, excellent video!

I still find the tripod mode helpful even flying at altitude.

If you look at a lot of video footage taken from land-based cameras (even films at the theater / on the TV), there is always movement. Often, that movement is small, not really changing the perspective / lighting of the subject (people talking} but is more interesting than a static tripod shot. I'm guessing that most people reading this knows what "dolly shot" means, and they're often done very slowly.

Before the Mavic, I used ATTI mode for slow movement -- just turn off GPS on a mild day and let the drone drift to add small movements.

Obviously, tripod doesn't work for long traveling sequences (covering a good distance of sea shore, or tracking a vehicle). Or if you want a nice sweeping shot with the POV racing over a field of grass / body of water at a low altitude.

But slow movement is useful too in many cases, not just close to bushes on the ground.

Ian, if you were to make a new video on this, I would like to suggest giving a more detailed difference between Tripod and Cinematic Mode. I too prefer to change the settings for smooth manual movement, but I like to understand the tools at hand in case they come in handy in a pinch.

I'll go out and figure the differences between the two intelligent flight modes myself, but it was the main reason I watched the video, so that last few seconds were a bit lacking for me.

Chris
Thanks Chris, and thanks for the suggestion. Always up for new video ideas and this makes sense. any people know the difference, but occasional users may not....Cheers, Ian

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckp