DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cocoa Beach Florida

Been flying a couple months now and working on my cinematography. All suggestions are welcome!!

TIA, Scott

Very nicely done! The flying, compositions, pace, variety of scenes, all good. I like the fact that you have incorporated some ground level shots (not sure which video camera you used) but they add interest. I found the length of the clips a bit too short to appreciate.( Usually I criticize that they are too long). I think 4-5 seconds would be better. Also, speeding up the walking people makes them look funny. I would have liked the under the pier shot to be a bit longer. The straight down shots of the surf were very nice. Some of the scenes need to be lightened up (exposure).

Dale
Miami

Been flying a couple months now and working on my cinematography. All suggestions are welcome!!

TIA, Scott
Hi Scozz, everyting was aleady said by DaleD. Two suggestions from me: The first shot would look much more interesting if you would reverse it. In that way you would reveal the pier little by little. Second suggestion: the shot from 1.33 to 1.45 is a bit too long and the waves looks strange when they move as fast...Only my two cents ?
cheers Paul

As a beginner, you understood the importance of having a story board before starting filming. Not so much of a beginner after all. Very good,I liked it. Wish I could be there.

Very nicely done! The flying, compositions, pace, variety of scenes, all good. I like the fact that you have incorporated some ground level shots (not sure which video camera you used) but they add interest. I found the length of the clips a bit too short to appreciate.( Usually I criticize that they are too long). I think 4-5 seconds would be better. Also, speeding up the walking people makes them look funny. I would have liked the under the pier shot to be a bit longer. The straight down shots of the surf were very nice. Some of the scenes need to be lightened up (exposure).

Dale
Miami
Thanks for all the great comments. I'm a bit hyper-sensitive about long videos, perhaps I need to add a few more seconds to some clips as you suggested. For the last shot from ocean down the pier to land, I should have flown the drone faster instead of speeding up in post. Lesson learned. :). The ground shots were with my iPhone 11 attached to a Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal. I'm still learning to use that as well. Thanks again!

Reactions: dozzn
As a beginner, you understood the importance of having a story board before starting filming. Not so much of a beginner after all. Very good,I liked it. Wish I could be there.
@Vue D’Oiseau I wish I could say you were right on the storyboard. I took a bunch of shots I thought might be interesting while there. In post, I threw lots out but there was enough to put some variety in and make it look somewhat professional. Storyboarding and visual information processing are next on my list of items to learn.

Hi Scozz, everyting was aleady said by DaleD. Two suggestions from me: The first shot would look much more interesting if you would reverse it. In that way you would reveal the pier little by little. Second suggestion: the shot from 1.33 to 1.45 is a bit too long and the waves looks strange when they move as fast...Only my two cents ?
cheers Paul
Thanks @Jack43. Definitely agree at the 1:33 mark. I should have flown the drone back down the pier much faster instead of trying to speed up in editing. Good suggestion on the open. I might have to try it and see which works best. (Also realizing you never please everyone :). I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks for all the great comments. I'm a bit hyper-sensitive about long videos, perhaps I need to add a few more seconds to some clips as you suggested. For the last shot from ocean down the pier to land, I should have flown the drone faster instead of speeding up in post. Lesson learned. :). The ground shots were with my iPhone 11 attached to a Zhiyun Smooth 4 gimbal. I'm still learning to use that as well. Thanks again!
I am amazingly surprised at the great videos I get from my iPhone 11 Pro Max with the Osmo Mobile gimbal. It is super simple to use, and not as bulky as the Zhiyun. Even hand holding the iPhone is not bad! I have the first Osmo Mobile before they came out with the foldable model. It is selling for dirt cheap on e-bay so I am just keeping it. I am really tempted to buy the newest model Osmo Mobile.

With respect to video length...I too am very careful to keep it short. My preferred length is about 3-5 seconds for a clip unless the clip is telling an ongoing story or shot, such as following a river. I insert still images and I keep these at around 2 seconds. My end goal is a 3-3 1/2 minute film. The attention span of viewers on this forum and on You Tube are short. My Vimeo statistics which they send me every month state that less than 30% finish any film!!!

For very big occasions, such my African safaris, or other exotic trips (such as my Zambia-Madagascar film) I make an exception because I am documenting it for myself and for my family and for my Photography mailing group of people who have expressed a wish to be on that list(it numbers around 70 names). I have met fellow travelers (fellow tourists in my group, or fellow safari vehicle or lodge acquaintances) who want to be on my photography list. I usually do not submit these films to this forum, but I do post them to my own Vimeo video site and/or my own photography web site. In this way, I will have them for my children and for posterity.

Reactions: RMuntan

TIA, Scott

I've been there! :)
Light is key to all photography. If you one morning or evening notice that the light or conditions outside is exceptional, take out your drone :). That's my only tip.

Reactions: Scott590
I've been there! :)
Light is key to all photography. If you one morning or evening notice that the light or conditions outside is exceptional, take out your drone :). That's my only tip.
Ah, YES, the Golden Hour. This applies both in the morning and the late noon- excellent light.

Thanks @Jack43. Definitely agree at the 1:33 mark. I should have flown the drone back down the pier much faster instead of trying to speed up in editing. Good suggestion on the open. I might have to try it and see which works best. (Also realizing you never please everyone :). I appreciate the feedback!
I like the beginning just the way it is , it gave me something to read, as if I was arriving at the pier for the time. I’ve seen the ocean before, but I’ve never seen this pier before .

I am amazingly surprised at the great videos I get from my iPhone 11 Pro Max with the Osmo Mobile gimbal. It is super simple to use, and not as bulky as the Zhiyun. Even hand holding the iPhone is not bad! I have the first Osmo Mobile before they came out with the foldable model. It is selling for dirt cheap on e-bay so I am just keeping it. I am really tempted to buy the newest model Osmo Mobile.

With respect to video length...I too am very careful to keep it short. My preferred length is about 3-5 seconds for a clip unless the clip is telling an ongoing story or shot, such as following a river. I insert still images and I keep these at around 2 seconds. My end goal is a 3-3 1/2 minute film. The attention span of viewers on this forum and on You Tube are short. My Vimeo statistics which they send me every month state that less than 30% finish any film!!!

For very big occasions, such my African safaris, or other exotic trips (such as my Zambia-Madagascar film) I make an exception because I am documenting it for myself and for my family and for my Photography mailing group of people who have expressed a wish to be on that list(it numbers around 70 names). I have met fellow travelers (fellow tourists in my group, or fellow safari vehicle or lodge acquaintances) who want to be on my photography list. I usually do not submit these films to this forum, but I do post them to my own Vimeo video site and/or my own photography web site. In this way, I will have them for my children and for posterity.
I'm definitely not enamored with the Zhiyun. I'll look into the Osmo Mobile. I have a birthday coming up. I wonder if anyone will notice my Amazon wish list. :).

I think I myself will spring for the OM4 which is the name they give it, rather than Osmo Mobile 4. I looked at their video(DJI website) and some of the You Tube videos on the OM4 and the features of motion timelapse, hyperlapse, and panorama have me very eager to order it. And it is only $149 USD. I even have $1.41 credits!!!(Woo Woo). What a bargain. Maybe I can dump my Osmo Mobile 2 for about $59.00 (the going rate on e-bay) and deduct the amount! The Osmo Mobile 2 is super simple t use if you just know how to pair the Mi Mo app. I think there is a new app for the OM4.

It's a great video and makes me want to go to the beach. I especially like the shot of racing across the sand, and I would personally prefer more color saturation overall.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54