DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Color Grading Methodology Question

spamgnome

Reactions
I know there's probably not one right answer to this, but how do people go about color-grading when editing a single video shoot? Do you do all of the clips together, or individually?

I know there's probably not one right answer to this, but how do people go about color-grading when editing a single video shoot? Do you do all of the clips together, or individually?
If I'm going to combine several clips to make one video, I color grade and/or make corrections to the individual clips before combining them. It becomes extremely difficult afterward.

Individually, always. In most programs you can copy the color grading settings and apply them to other clips so if you have two clips that are very close you can copy the color grading from one to the other then fine tweak as needed. One of the important aspects of color grading that beginners miss is keyframing the color grading and I'll also mention that before dealing with color you want to set the exposure values for the clip which also may require keyframing. Keyframing is really critical to both the overall exposure and color grading if those values change during the clip in a manner you don't like. It's very common for folks to shoot with auto exposure and as they pan from left to right in a scene the color balance changes as does the exposure - often not to the advantage of the video. (It's why pros virtually never shoot with auto exposure). When changing color balance and/or changing exposure occur it's important to keyframe both so the color/exposure is held to the values you want to maintain. The color may change gradually or slowly and your keyframe can occur quickly or slowly to match that timing. When you insert still images you may find color balancing them to get close to the video is most easily done in Lightroom or Photoshop then you can do a closer matching in your NLE as needed. My stuff is just amateur stuff but I do work at it as best I can and I try to pay attention to color grading. You can see my nonsense at https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos.

Most of the time, color grading is done in stages, first an overall exposure, then a rough grade to get the clips in balance, then a finer grade to deal with individual clip issues . After all that, some will add a "look" for creative purposes if they are trying to maintain a mood or overall tone.

Reactions: anotherlab
I don't disagree with all that's been said. In fact, I agree with them. However, using Davinci Resolve, I take a simpler approach as most of my drone video clips are in similar lighting. Davinci has an 'adjustment clip' that I put over all my clips so I can make color grading adjustments to all clips simultaneously. Also, I developed a simple grading process using various nodes for different things, i.e., exposure, color, etc. I saved it and I can apply it to the current project and not start from scratch. The node system allows me to make minor adjustments if needed.

Reactions: anotherlab
I don't disagree with all that's been said. In fact, I agree with them. However, using Davinci Resolve, I take a simpler approach as most of my drone video clips are in similar lighting. Davinci has an 'adjustment clip' that I put over all my clips so I can make color grading adjustments to all clips simultaneously. Also, I developed a simple grading process using various nodes for different things, i.e., exposure, color, etc. I saved it and I can apply it to the current project and not start from scratch. The node system allows me to make minor adjustments if needed.
What?? Are you serious? You think there are different approaches to color grading? Oh...wait...yeah... Most NLE can use an adjustment layer and that's a great approach to bring up. I tend to have clips from here and there and then and now so rarely use that but it's a good point and something I should keep in mind. Thanks for the shake up!

What?? Are you serious? You think there are different approaches to color grading? Oh...wait...yeah... Most NLE can use an adjustment layer and that's a great approach to bring up. I tend to have clips from here and there and then and now so rarely use that but it's a good point and something I should keep in mind. Thanks for the shake up!
Thanks, AK. I wish we lived closer. You look and sound like someone I would enjoy getting to know. However, no way am I moving to where you live. ;)

There’s no right or wrong way. For example, if you want to keep grading to a minimum and you use something like DaVinci Resolve, you can just set Resolve to manage colour for you (it will give you a good starting point in whatever colour space you’ve selected) and you can just tweak individuals clips to your liking.. a preferred way by some. Or another example in Final Cut is to get all your clips onto the timeline (do your editing first obviously!) and then use an adjustment layer spanning the length of your programme (timeline) and apply colour grading to that - this will in effect affect ALL of your clips together. But of course different clips may have different colour in them, so again you may have to go in and tweak individuals clips. But as I’ve said, there are many, many ways to grade, it just depends on how much time you want to spend on it and the type of grade you’re after.

Thanks, AK. I wish we lived closer. You look and sound like someone I would enjoy getting to know. However, no way am I moving to where you live. ;)
Hah! We might yet get to meet someday. I have a cousin that lives in Corrales on Dixon rd. We visited for the balloon fest and a biking vacation some years ago so who knows? I wasn't looking at the area with an eye toward drone videography but I can imagine with a mesa here and a mesa there one might end up with a messa nice video. Got a youtube channel? I often toss mine out in the hopes I'll gain the other 995 subscribers that will lead me toward riches and fame so apologies if I already did so in this thread :) but here's mine https://www.youtube.com/@digibud/videos

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078