DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Coming on vacation in May...from Texas..looking for the best places to fly close to City of London

BAdkins

Reactions
Coming on vacation in May...from Texas..looking for the best places to fly close to City of London

wont know my way around..will be using public transportation...Keep IT Simple

maybe we can meet?

maybe we can meet?
I see that over a month after your post that nobody, even from the London area, has responded to your request, so I'll give my view for what it's worth. Don't take this as gospel, since I don't live in the London area but a hundred miles North in Leicester UK, but I'd think it'd be pretty difficult to fly in the city as many of our local authorities, including mine, seem to have a blanket ban on drones from public parks and open spaces owned by them, which also goes for what are termed "Royal Parks" in London I believe. You could of course just chance it, put your drone up for a short while and hope that a nosey parker doesn't report it to the police/authorities and then "leg it" before they show up. What with the row about so-called drones closing Gatwick Airport plus terrorism scares that would be your only chance and as for getting aerial views of iconic sites like the Tower of London, Trafalgar Square or Tower Bridge? Well good luck!

Richmond Park is the ONLY place in/around London you can fly, any other location is a NO GO, even don't think about it :) You can take the train from Waterloo station, 15 min. Don't forget to visit the water front (Thames), great places for a drink !!!!!

Last edited:
will i have any issue bring it into the UK via customs
I've taken my Mavic Pro in & out of the UK on trips to Indonesia, Zimbabwe, Botswana and intend to take it to South Africa in May. You shouldn't have any trouble with bringing it into the UK. When I've taken it with me on flights I carry the drone with a battery in place and two extras in the side mesh pockets of the small Fly More carrying bag. Make sure all batteries are in your carry-on, with the battery contacts taped up and not in the hold! Should you be asked by cabin crew "what's in the bag?", tell them it's a camera, which it is, just that it's attached to a small drone, but I've never been asked. At this time as you're a recreation-only flyer you'll be OK, the only headache is where to fly legally! Just stick to the Drone Code and good luck!

TSA person told me " that's a nice drone"....when I flew Calif to Denver last week....I put it in it's own tray and put the battery in a li-po battery bag.

London city is pretty much locked down for drone flying. Loads of restrictions. But you can use them in designated parks. Google will bring them up.

maybe we can meet?
Don't know how we missed your original post on this one @BAdkins - but there are some pretty strict Civil Aviation Authority [CAA] rules and laws in force here about flying near built up areas. It would be a good idea to school up on the UK Drone Code found here ...
Drone code - Dronesafe
Page 4 outlines the requirement to keep 50 metres away from buildings that aren't in built up areas (The City of London is classed as a built-up-area), and 150 metres (500 ft) from those built up areas ... And then there is a general law that says you must not exceed 120 metres (400 ft) above the surface over which you are flying.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3