DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Commercial Fees

Sulaco662

Reactions
Hi All,

I am new to drones been flying about a year and have my Part 107. Curious if any of you folks using your drone for business have an approach for navigating municipal fees for commercial photos or video taken that you want to sell. Determining how to tell if a legal flying place in a municipality charges for commerical flying is quite a daunting challenge just from a research perspective and actually pursuing it aka paying their arbatary fees. I am finding the effort for most muncipalities just finding this information online is difficult let alone paying for these "fees" is one of the most difficult challenges for someone toying with the idea of selling their content for a business.

Any insight?

Thanks in advance! Happy flying!

Rick

Hi All,

I am new to drones been flying about a year and have my Part 107. Curious if any of you folks using your drone for business have an approach for navigating municipal fees for commercial photos or video taken that you want to sell. Determining how to tell if a legal flying place in a municipality charges for commerical flying is quite a daunting challenge just from a research perspective and actually pursuing it aka paying their arbatary fees. I am finding the effort for most muncipalities just finding this information online is difficult let alone paying for these "fees" is one of the most difficult challenges for someone toying with the idea of selling their content for a business.

Any insight?

Rick
Never heard of it.

Hi All,

Any insight?

Rick
The only fees that should be able to be legally imposed would be on standing on a particular property to fly such as city or state parks. The FAA has taken all responsibility for the skies so if you can find a place to stand on private property you should be good to fly without having to pay. Though in practice a municipality may use the police to hassle you anyway.

If you are flying for business, you will probably fly in the same state and city areas frequently. Most places that are concerned with drone operations have rules that can be easily googled or researched at a town hall. Unfortunately, like with most things it will be up to you to know so you don't get on the wrong side of the law.

You may need a business license, and/or a permit fee for commercial work.

Thanks likely it though.

Check with your city.

The only fees that should be able to be legally imposed would be on standing on a particular property to fly such as city or state parks. The FAA has taken all responsibility for the skies so if you can find a place to stand on private property you should be good to fly without having to pay. Though in practice a municipality may use the police to hassle you anyway.

If you are flying for business, you will probably fly in the same state and city areas frequently. Most places that are concerned with drone operations have rules that can be easily googled or researched at a town hall. Unfortunately, like with most things it will be up to you to know so you don't get on the wrong side of the law.

Great feedback! Agreed in terms of the law it seems like everything lives and dies based on the land you launch from. I have not heard of any commercial drone business permits. I am pretty well versed in the NY drone laws.
Seeing all these sole proprietors traveling and doing drone photography at all these exotic locations on social media sites to promote their business makes me think there is an easier way or some loop hole (maybe flying from private property with permission). Otherwise they will spend their entire life researching and paying fees to do it legally. For example a muncipality in Maine wants $600 dollars for 2 hours to allow shooting/launching on their beach if you want to sell any of it commercially. Sounds like more of a deterrent against commerical flying than anything.

Rick

Seeing all these sole proprietors traveling and doing drone photography at all these exotic locations on social media sites to promote their business makes me think there is an easier way or some loop hole (maybe flying from private property with permission). Otherwise they will spend their entire life researching and paying fees to do it legally.
I would bet that many of them just ignore the regs and shoot, figuring that if they aren't local it will be difficult for the location to (a) find out about it and (b) go after them legally.

Years ago I had a discussion with my municipality about photography, and was told that the 'shooting fee' is intended for events (like engagement photo shoots) or other photo shoots that interfere with other visitors' enjoyment of a park. A single photographer taking nature photos that are then sold as fine art photos wasn't a problem.

This will obviously vary by municipality.

Hi All,

Any insight?

Rick
Never heard of this and in the USA never pay any fees to fly...other than cost of insurance, equipment, education, marketing, etc. :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike