DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration Failed

BruddahMidds

Reactions
67E5FF1A-BAAD-46AB-B235-0697DA8902D1.jpegI need some help here. On my mini 2 I get this error every time I start to take off. I’ve recalibrated the compass and IMU several times, did all the DJI software updates, and updated the DJI FLY app and still get this error. I used this drone 10 days ago with no issues at all. It’s been sitting in its backpack until today. It will take off and fly around ok and everything seems normal but this error won’t go away. What else can I try to clear this up? Thanks

That message seems to point to something other than what a compass calibration would solve.
If it said compass calibration failed, that may be remedied by attempting another compass calibration.
I’ve never seen that particular message, so I can’t say for sure what it’s true meaning is. Possibly someone else may have the answer.
May be a question to direct to the DJI folks.

Thank you for your input, I recalibrated after each attempt to update software, firmware, by inserting a fresh battery, even calibrating with Rc turned off and on again. I amusing an iPad mini Gen 5 for my screen, is the compass in that used in conjunction with the DJI compass and that causing the problem?

Thank you for your input, I recalibrated after each attempt to update software, firmware, by inserting a fresh battery, even calibrating with Rc turned off and on again. I amusing an iPad mini Gen 5 for my screen, is the compass in that used in conjunction with the DJI compass and that causing the problem?
First ... stop all that unnecessary compass calibration.
It's not required after firmware updates and shouldn't be needed unless you modify or rebuild the drone.

And, no the compass in your iPad is not causing the issue.

If I touch the error message the following screen pops up. I have made sure to try and restart several times away from metal.3322216B-4E13-4A8C-83A5-A58FC644784B.jpeg

If I touch the error message the following screen pops up.View attachment 149025
The first message is an uncommon one.
I've not seen or heard of it before.

The second one is very poorly worded.
If you attempted to launch from very close to something made of steel, you get that message.
But the correct action isn't to recalibrate.
It's to switch off, move away from the problem the compass is warning you about and start again.

I went out side and set the drone down on the area on my patio where I have always taken off when I flown here at home. Same message came up I was even standing 10 feet away when I proceeded with the takeoff attempt. As soon as I tried to takeoff the error code came up again. It won’t go away and never did it before today.

I went out side and set the drone down on the area on my patio where I have always taken off when I flown here at home. Same message came up I was even standing 10 feet away when I proceeded with the takeoff attempt. As soon as I tried to takeoff the error code came up again. It won’t go away and never did it before today.
If the patio is made of reinforced concrete, that could be becuase of the steel in the concrete.
Try launching somewhere well away from any steel.

Reactions: JTZ
Exactly how did you re-calibrate compass?

Your first screen shows S mode. Do you get the same error message in all modes?

its a paver patio and under the pavers is 4 inches of sand and a foot of gavel, no rebar at all. I launched 75% of my flights off of it. I did move my launch pad out to the yard and got the same results in cine mode and normal mode. Calibration was always done as directed within the DJI safety instructions.ECCF7734-6192-4AB3-986C-0E58D5E1A515.jpeg

Idk about ur Drone but I have a Mavic Pro
And dealt with a similar issue.
Mine ended up being a loose wire going to
The gps unit.
If it happened to connect messages would go away..
I would even be flying and suddenly get compass error messages and that’s how I figured a wire..
Sure enuf it was..
I did my own repairs with solder and no more
Messages….
Just a thought……

Any idea why it would wait until I go to takeoff to show the “failed” message . Shouldn’t this problem be discovered during the self diagnosis at the initial startup?

So I was in contact with DJI technical support and they basically told me to return the drone. I do have the replacement program so I guess I am going to get a new drone under that program. Just a little disappointed I didn’t get to smash it all up in order to get it replaced and it turns out to be some sort of issue with the drone. Oh well at least I will have a new drone at some point. If they should happen to tell me what they found on my mini two I will post their findings on this post here.

If this is a warranty issue there should be no cost and Care Refresh would not be relevant. My guess is that DJI will not disclose specifics but just sent a replacement.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I don’t recall how good or how long the warranty was for but I know I’ve had it for probably going on 18 months. I just renewed the replacement warranty a few months back, good thing I did I guess

Care Refresh and warranty are separate issues. What did you actually renew, and how?

Shouldn’t this problem be discovered during the self diagnosis at the initial startup?
That's where the first message comes in.
It's telling you that the compass wasn't starting up correctly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS