DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass Calibration Opinions

redserv

Reactions
Heya guys I have a question and concern that i need some help with. I bought my mavic 3 a couple of months ago. I updated the firmware and did the IMU calibration atleast once. However since i got the drone I have never done a compass calibration? should i calibrate the compass since the drone was made in china and I am in the Caribbean islands? Or only when the drone asks. I want to make sure its not an issue. i have flown the drone without any problems so far. just wondering what i should do. Thanks in advance guys.

Reactions: Derek H
I have never done a compass calibration? should i calibrate the compass since the drone was made in china and I am in the Caribbean islands? Or only when the drone asks.
There's a lot of myth and misunderstanding around the compass.
Rather than opinions, you really need compass facts.
Calibrating the compass has nothing to do with where you are or where the drone has been.
If your drone flies properly, there's nothing you can do to make the compass work better.
Find out what compass calibration is actually does and when it might be needed by reading the first post in this thread.

And if you ever think that the drone is asking for compass calibration, it probably isn't.
The wording of DJI's warning is quite misleading.
The usual explanation is that the compass is working properly and warning you of a magnetic interference problem with where you've put the drone.
The solution is to switch off, move away from the problem and start again.

The same goes for the IMU.
If it's flying properly, there's normally no need to recalibrate it.

What Meta said... personally I would calibrate your compass at least once, no matter where you are, but that is me. I like to go through all the calibrations once in a while, especially on a new machine.

Reactions: BarbT
What Meta said... personally I would calibrate your compass at least once, no matter where you are, but that is me. I like to go through all the calibrations once in a while, especially on a new machine.
If it was important, you'd expect DJI to say something about it in their manuals.
But they mention nothing about recalibrating anything before your first flight.
I've had 6 DJI drones from new and never calibrated anything on them and they've flown perfectly and continue to.

Calibrating the compass has nothing to do with where you are or where the drone has been.
If your drone flies properly, there's nothing you can do to make the compass work better.
Find out what compass calibration is actually does and when it might be needed by reading the first post in this thread.

And if you ever think that the drone is asking for compass calibration, it probably isn't.
The usual explanation is that the compass is working properly and warning you of a magnetic interference problem with where you've put the drone.

Thank you so much for this

Meta thank you very much for this. That's why I love this hobby you can always learn something new. Thank you once again. Appreciated!!

As stated by Meta4, there is no need to calibrate the compass.
The majority of compass error messages are related to interference in proximity to the drone i.e metal.
I have MP, Air 2 and Air 2S.
Never calibrated compass or IMU.
Have flown many different locations thousands of Kilometres apart.

Reactions: redserv
The ONLY reason that I can think of that a compass calibration can help is to coordinate the app image to the compass.

The ONLY reason that I can think of that a compass calibration can help is to coordinate the app image to the compass.
That would be calibration of the compass in your phone/tablet, rather than the drone's compass.

Reactions: Zbip57
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
invertedloser