DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass staying red.

Sheppie

Reactions
Using a LG G6, no sim card, and the compass at the bottom center stays red at all times and when you tap it says " searching for GPS". What do I need to do to work. My LG G7 with sim card is always white.

Thanks.

GPS on the phone is turned off? Can you confirm GPS works if you open Google Maps on the phone?

This is what's needed for the indicator in mid bottom screen to work properly ...

1591882358707.png

If any of these 4 values aren't consistent enough, are wrong or is missing, the indicator will not work properly or will not work at all.

The values from the drone side usually work (& can be checked in the map view in the DJI Fly app by the drone icon direction & the map position) ... but can fail from the mobile device side due to a number of reasons.

-The GPS isn't activated or position isn't good enough or the mobile device are missing a GPS module

-The Compass in the device attached to the RC is not showing the correct direction (1) or the device doesn't have a compass module

(1) It's not unusual that the compass in the device becomes disturbed when the device is attached to the RC ... this due to the magnetic field coming from the stick modules in the RC. If this becomes a problem usually depends on where the compass module is located in the device & how prone it is to pick up the disturbance from the RC, some mobile device brands don't suffer but others do. This can in most cases be fixed by calibrating the compass in the mobile device while it is attached to the RC.

This is what's needed for the indicator in mid bottom screen to work properly ...

View attachment 104414

If any of these 4 values aren't consistent enough, are wrong or is missing, the indicator will not work properly or will not work at all.

The values from the drone side usually work (& can be checked in the map view in the DJI Fly app by the drone icon direction & the map position) ... but can fail from the mobile device side due to a number of reasons.

-The GPS isn't activated or position isn't good enough or the mobile device are missing a GPS module

-The Compass in the device attached to the RC is not showing the correct direction (1) or the device doesn't have a compass module

(1) It's not unusual that the compass in the device becomes disturbed when the device is attached to the RC ... this due to the magnetic field coming from the stick modules in the RC. If this becomes a problem usually depends on where the compass module is located in the device & how prone it is to pick up the disturbance from the RC, some mobile device brands don't suffer but others do. This can in most cases be fixed by calibrating the compass in the mobile device while it is attached to the RC.
Thank you, I'm assuming that this works in airplane mode.

Thank you, I'm assuming that this works in airplane mode.
You don't need mobile data to keep the GPS or the Compass module going in your mobile device ... the only thing you miss out by not having it is map refresh on the fly, you need instead pre-cache them for the area you're gonna fly in. But be aware that airplane mode may shut off other sensors beside WiFi & mobile data also ... like the GPS.

View attachment 104414

One minor correction. GPS is not required in the tablet. Only a working compass. It assumes the Home Point originally created by the aircraft is the current location of the RC.

Last edited:
Reactions: gb160
I tried both of my phones last night, the LG G7 which is my main phone with a sim card thus cellular data. This phones compass works just fine. Indicator stays white. Switch to my LG G6, only difference is no sim card, thus no cellular data, and compass stays red all the time. I did calibrate the compass on both phones. Any thoughts.

I tried both of my phones last night, the LG G7 which is my main phone with a sim card thus cellular data. This phones compass works just fine. Indicator stays white. Switch to my LG G6, only difference is no sim card, thus no cellular data, and compass stays red all the time. I did calibrate the compass on both phones. Any thoughts.
I use wifi-only iPads which have compasses but no GPS, and it works fine, unless the compass is off, in which the figure 8 shake turns it white, after compass calibration.

That means the DJI app cannot get the GPS coordinates of the LG G6. It's either the GPS of the phone is turned off, not working or the DJI app is not allowed to get the GPS coordinates from the phone in the Andriod settings.

To check if the GPS of the phone is working, I would suggest you to put a SIM card into the phone and see if the phone's location can be correctly shown in Google map.

This may help also : GPS not finding location on LG G6

That means the DJI app cannot get the GPS coordinates of the LG G6. It's either the GPS of the phone is turned off, not working or the DJI app is not allowed to get the GPS coordinates from the phone in the Andriod settings.

To check if the GPS of the phone is working, I would suggest you to put a SIM card into the phone and see if the phone's location can be correctly shown in Google map.

This may help also : GPS not finding location on LG G6
Yes, I went into settings and location is on and when I go inti maps it shows my location correctly.

Yes, I went into settings and location is on and when I go inti maps it shows my location correctly.
If the other apps such as Google maps and compass app shows that the GPS and compass of the phone is working, then the DJI map, for some reasons, could not access them. It can be due to settings in Andriod. If nothing wrong in the setting can be found, I would recommend re-install the DJI app. When the app is first started, the system should ask you if you let the app to access your location, answer yes.

If the other apps such as Google maps and compass app shows that the GPS and compass of the phone is working, then the DJI map, for some reasons, could not access them. It can be due to settings in Andriod. If nothing wrong in the setting can be found, I would recommend re-install the DJI app. When the app is first started, the system should ask you if you let the app to access your location, answer yes.
Will give that a shot,,,, Thanks.

As stated previously, GPS in the phone or tablet is unnecessary, as it uses the GPS from the aircraft when the home point is set. It only needs a compass in the device to show the correct orientation in the Fly app, to keep the antennas pointing the aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki