DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller question

davedrone 178

Reactions
Have the Mini 3 Pro with the RC N1 controller. Thinking of picking up the regular Mini 3 with the
nice RC controller with the built-in screen to run both Mini 3s and my Air 2s. Since the Mini 3 is only OC2,
should I assume the fancy remote it will come with will only transmit OC2 or will it also provide OC3 which I also need for the other two drones?

Have the Mini 3 Pro with the RC N1 controller. Thinking of picking up the regular Mini 3 with the
nice RC controller with the built-in screen to run both Mini 3s and my Air 2s. Since the Mini 3 is only OC2,
should I assume the fancy remote it will come with will only transmit OC2 or will it also provide OC3 which I also need for the other two drones?
Can't say definitively myself so I'd check with DJI if you don't get an answer here but it would seem that if the drone can't talk OC3 then the fact that the controller has OC3 won't help.

There is something very insteresting about the Mini 3 vs the Mini 3 Pro... With the Mini 3 they have redesigned it to reinstate the front legs, which I presume will house the antennae. It seems to me that the Mini 3 Pro lacks some range because the antennae are packed in the body somewhere rather than in the legs.

Personally, I am not sure that there is a whole lot of practical difference between OS2 and OS3. I have had my Mavic 2 Pro out as far a 10,000 feet (over water- at night w/strobes still w/ VLOS) with a pretty good signal. I've had my Mini 2 out at least 5000 feet (again, over water) and just didn't push it farther as I wasn't doing a range test. My Mini 3 seems to lose controller signal somewhere after 3500 feet even with clear VLOS, though not over water like the other distances I just mentioned. It will be interesting to see if the Mini 3 has more practical signal strength over greater distance than the Mini 3 pro?

@vindibona1 I'm baffled. This range issue is really mysterious and frustrating.

I've had my M3P over 13,000ft out over the ocean, doing a range test when so many others were losing connection at 1000ft. Still had strong connection, solid video the entire flight.

Turned around and came back at that point, was getting bored and I'd proven what I needed to.

@vindibona1 I'm baffled. This range issue is really mysterious and frustrating.

I've had my M3P over 13,000ft out over the ocean, doing a range test when so many others were losing connection at 1000ft. Still had strong connection, solid video the entire flight.

Turned around and came back at that point, was getting bored and I'd proven what I needed to.
It is baffling indeed. Were you flying with an RCN1 or DJI RC controller?
I did some suburban flying last evening so with strobes I had complete VLOS. I got out to about 4500 ft before the RC lost connection. My Mini 3 did a bit better than I expected. I haven't tried it with the RCN1 yet. I have one of those range extenders for the RCN1 as well that I haven't used much. I'll have to try pairing the mini 3 with the RCN1 and see how that goes. It will be interesting to see if there is any increased range with the Mini 3 non-pro where I believe they put the antennae back in the feet (that got chopped off with the Mini 3 pro).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfderose