DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller storage

cweam

Reactions
What state of charge should the controller be in for long term storage. I can't find any info on it in the manual.

I don't believe it's as critical an issue as it is with the AC batteries as we don't hear much about RC battery issues.

Not sure if RCs use canned LiIon or Polymer LiPo or varies depending on model but in general it's always best to store at around 60% and keep out of hot environments.

Reactions: ICHOTT
What state of charge should the controller be in for long term storage. I can't find any info on it in the manual.
I just received a reply from DJI in China regarding how to store the controller to protect the controller battery. Here is part of the reply that I received:

Thank you for contacting DJI Technical Support.
If the battery is left unused for a long time, its performance will be affected. To keep the smart battery active, it is recommended to recharge and discharge the battery every 3 months or so. During operation, be careful not to store the battery for a long time after completely discharged, to avoid the battery from entering an over-discharged state, causing damage to the battery cell, and the battery cannot be restored to use. The battery has its own discharge function, so it can be fully charged without worrying about overcharging.
The long-term storage of the remote controller is the same as the battery recommendation. They are all lithium batteries and have the same properties.

I just received a reply from DJI in China regarding how to store the controller to protect the controller battery. Here is part of the reply that I received:

If the battery is left unused for a long time, its performance will be affected. To keep the smart battery active, it is recommended to recharge and discharge the battery every 3 months or so. During operation, be careful not to store the battery for a long time after completely discharged, to avoid the battery from entering an over-discharged state, causing damage to the battery cell, and the battery cannot be restored to use. The battery has its own discharge function, so it can be fully charged without worrying about overcharging.
The long-term storage of the remote controller is the same as the battery recommendation. They are all lithium batteries and have the same properties.

cweam, Do you know how to discharge the RC and keep it at 60%? I have a smart charger that will put the batteries in standby mode just by pressing a button. The RC can plugged in to a USB port on the side of the charger, but there are status lights on top only for four batteries.(I have three, but all four lights flash.)

How can they say the RC battery has a discharge function? If he's thinking like most of the AC batteries that self discharge to 60% after X days, I don't think so.

He made a mistake about depleting the battery. The battery can't go into an overcharged state when left unattended depleted, but it can go into an UNDER-charge state.

cweam, Do you know how to discharge the RC and keep it at 60%? I have a smart charger that will put the batteries in standby mode just by pressing a button. The RC can plugged in to a USB port on the side of the charger, but there are status lights on top only for four batteries.(I have three, but all four lights flash.)

I'm sure the smart charger can only manage storage charge for the AC battery. It can't read the SC battery charge state.

The battery can't go into an overcharged state when left unattended depleted, but it can go into an UNDER-charge state.

That's what he said.

During operation, be careful not to store the battery for a long time after completely discharged, to avoid the battery from entering an over-discharged state, causing damage to the battery cell, and the battery cannot be restored to use.

He made a mistake about depleting the battery. The battery can't go into an overcharged state when left unattended depleted, but it can go into an UNDER-charge state.
The reply did not say an “over charged state” it said “an over DIScharged state” which is correct and not technically the same as your “under charge “ description which is any state below full charge.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DvrkDrone