DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Course lock

Roodog

Reactions
Don't forget to turn course lock off when you're finished with it,normally I use rth but thought I would manually bring it home and it was albeit a bit funny, wasn't funny when it crashed into a tree. Off to the doctor it goes

Don't forget to turn course lock off when you're finished with it,normally I use rth but thought I would manually bring it home and it was albeit a bit funny, wasn't funny when it crashed into a tree. Off to the doctor it goes
Simple answer: Just learn how to fly manually. Course lock and especially RTH should be used as an emmergency option, not as the standard method for flying home.

Course lock has its place as does RTH and I use both a lot.
Especially RTH but you do have to understand how everything
works . Everyone has there opinion on all the different modes
and that's good but do know how they work before you do them.
RTH really needs to be understood before you do have an emergency
if you only want to fly manually cause that's not the time to learn to use it .
JMO
Hate you crashed and hope it wasn't to much damage .

Reactions: Bunny Too and Dw911
Have used rth most of the time, being among tall trees have it set to 40 meters, no problem, just forgot I was in course lock filming alongside house and yard.rth would stop course lock? Anyway went manual home,my bad

I usually use sport mode to fly back, especially if the Mavic's a long way out.
Flicking the sport mode switch cancels any other flight modes too.

Reactions: Callum
I usually use sport mode to fly back, especially if the Mavic's a long way out.
Flicking the sport mode switch cancels any other flight modes too.
Cool thanks, I'll remember that one

Simple answer: Just learn how to fly manually. Course lock and especially RTH should be used as an emmergency option, not as the standard method for flying home.

Please tell me more about why RTH should only be used as an emergency option.
Or is this just your opinion?

Please tell me more about why RTH should only be used as an emergency option.
Or is this just your opinion?
Many things can go wrong, beginning with an incorrectly set homepoint, some obstacle in flight path, blending by sun light (phantom obstacle recognition with stopping and ascending) if "intelligent" RTH is enabled, flight over forbidden areas, e.g. crowds of people or streets, just to mention a few reasons. although there are plenty of reasons more...

Many things can go wrong, beginning with an incorrectly set homepoint, some obstacle in flight path, blending by sun light (phantom obstacle recognition with stopping and ascending) if "intelligent" RTH is enabled, flight over forbidden areas, e.g. crowds of people or streets, just to mention a few reasons. although there are plenty of reasons more...

All of those just seem to be "what if" situations.
Still just sounds like your opinion.

Reactions: whiskeylover
Up to you what you will do. I am talking of many years experience with drones. And when I am out flying them I also want to enjoy flying them by myself, not just sitting somewhere and drinking a cup of coffee while my drone (hopefully) comes back on its own.
By the way, if you will look around here a bit, you will find many examples about failed RTH situations.

Up to you what you will do. I am talking of many years experience with drones. And when I am out flying them I also want to enjoy flying them by myself, not just sitting somewhere and drinking a cup of coffee while my drone (hopefully) comes back on its own.
By the way, if you will look around here a bit, you will find many examples about failed RTH situations.
Maybe I should just dust the old syma off, seems like a lot of money to spend if your not Gunnar use it

Reactions: Hollow Dog

So using RTH only in an emergency situation is just your opinion.
You like to run the quad hands on all the time, and think everyone else should also?
I know after I spend 10 minutes making intricate stick movements trying to get the best shot I can I think RTH is the greatest thing in the world.

So using RTH only in an emergency situation is just your opinion.
You like to run the quad hands on all the time, and think everyone else should also?
I know after I spend 10 minutes making intricate stick movements trying to get the best shot I can I think RTH is the greatest thing in the world.
Hollow Dog, are we related?

IMG_8915.GIF

Reactions: Roodog
I don't get why you should use RTH for emergencies ONLY. If you don't use RTH enough, how would you know if it works when you really really need it? Personally, RTH has saved my drone 2 times when I lost connection, and the drone was making it's way home automatically and reconnected when it got closer.

Important thing is that you know how RTH works (smart RTH, low battery RTH etc) and the minimum distance required, RTH altitude etc. Frequently using RTH also makes sure you get comfortable with the feature and not completely freak out when it activates automatically.

When people use their "many years of experience flying a drone" to explain why you shouldn't use RTH, they forget that many years ago, the drones weren't as smart as they're now.

Auto RTH is boring. When flying back home manually, one doesn't have to imitate RTH by keeping altitude constant and steadily pushing the forward stick. Fly it like a race drone, low and fast, have tons of fun and take some cool footage in the process. You're done with your mission; now you can do all you want! Weeeeeeeeee... weeeeeeeeee!!!

pg21_geicopig.jpg

Reactions: rfc and Roodog
I don't get why you should use RTH for emergencies ONLY. If you don't use RTH enough, how would you know if it works when you really really need it? Personally, RTH has saved my drone 2 times when I lost connection, and the drone was making it's way home automatically and reconnected when it got closer...
I didn't say "don't try out RTH to become familiar with it", just don't use it as your standard and 100% trusted method for returning home.
And yes, try it out in a safe and supervised situation to become familiar with it in case you need it in an emmergency.
I had such an ammergency twice, one because of GO4 crash with the Mavic out of direct sight and the other because of signal lost at range limit with following auto-RTH. That are situations RTH is intended for.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan