DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crazy Mavic 2 Behaviour

WOW That's AWSOME SAR - I remember looking at those wind layouts - (during a trial Phase)

I must have been in the Eye of the Storm feeling very little wind - at H position (or U on the Map)
… because clearly there was some serious Flows over the Whole route (in the AirData Maps) like 30mph and more-

Explains a Lot - ALso Explains the DISH Tilt - and could well explain that angle messing with SIGNAL Transfer.

You have cool tools - … and Know how to read them Quickly ...
Pretty Cool !
…. ALSO EXPLAINS WHy I couldn't achieve full speed in SPORT MODE - … ie never achieving 72km/h in either direction -
That WIND was STRONG and a CROSSWIND for the WHOLE JOURNEY - … Half of the Forward thrust was used for Maintaining the Drone on the 'LINE' …. to counter the STRONG 30mph (90deg right Angled) crosswind !

… I love the science ! (Smile)

Thx again

Reactions: AMann
WOW That's AWSOME SAR - I remember looking at those wind layouts - (during a trial Phase)

I must have been in the Eye of the Storm feeling very little wind - at H position (or U on the Map)
… because clearly there was some serious Flows over the Whole route (in the AirData Maps) like 30mph and more-

Explains a Lot - ALso Explains the DISH Tilt - and could well explain that angle messing with SIGNAL Transfer.

You have cool tools - … and Know how to read them Quickly ...
Pretty Cool !

When you see that code red wind warning it means the wind is really high. The yellow one is rubbish and I tuned it off entirely. If you kinda keep an eye on the motor speed RPMs in the upper right corner of the remote during your flights you will start to get an idea of what’s normal and what isn’t. You can also click on the upper right corner of the mini map and it will turn the map into the attitude radar.

The attitude radar shows you the aircrafts tilt without having to look with the camera. In Sport mode it also shows you the motor power consumption as a percentage. It also has a gauge that shows you the sweet spot for motor speed. Where the green turns to blue is when the motor speed is most efficient. It think that is at 40% usually.

These are a couple of instruments to help you recognize when wind or other issues are happening so you aren’t surprised. Wind at ground level is often much different from even just a few hundred feet up.

When you see that code red wind warning it means the wind is really high. The yellow one is rubbish and I tuned it off entirely. If you kinda keep an eye on the motor speed RPMs in the upper right corner of the remote during your flights you will start to get an idea of what’s normal and what isn’t. You can also click on the upper right corner of the mini map and it will turn the map into the attitude radar.

The attitude radar shows you the aircrafts tilt without having to look with the camera. In Sport mode it also shows you the motor power consumption as a percentage. It also has a gauge that shows you the sweet spot for motor speed. Where the green turns to blue is when the motor speed is most efficient. It think that is at 40% usually.

These are a couple of instruments to help you recognize when wind or other issues are happening so you aren’t surprised. Wind at ground level is often much different from even just a few hundred feet up.
THATS AMAZING - I completely did NOT Know that - ('ATTITUDE RADAR') … after Flying in all terrain/ all Wind conditions for two Years-
… I once saw a Video of a Guy explaining intricacies of that ….

DO You Mean the upper corner of the Little Square Box on the Bottom Left of the DJI Go 4 App?

Would be Cool to see Efficiency levels and understand the wind conditions - by looking there-
… But id have to find some YouTube to properly explain how to use it properly ...

Thanks Brett

Last edited:
Yep thanks …

I Found this... Looks Good (To start using it)

Yea he’s got it down but he doesn’t show you it’s actually more useful in sport mode because it shows you more things. Can’t believe he doesn't mention that
Please direct me to more Info on that ...

@Rockowe you’ll see that when he hovers the motor power consumption is at like 34% and the gauge is green but when he full sticks forward and up it goes up to 97% it turns blue. Don’t do that. I get uncomfortable when my Mavic Pro goes above 50%. When the gauge goes from green to blue at 40% is the optimal speed to battery consumption level.

If you wanted to do a max distance flight you would want to keep it as close to the 40% line as possible.

@Rockowe you’ll see that when he hovers the motor power consumption is at like 34% and the gauge is green but when he full sticks forward and up it goes up to 97% it turns blue. Don’t do that. I get uncomfortable when my Mavic Pro goes above 50%. When the gauge goes from green to blue at 40% is the optimal speed to battery consumption level.

If you wanted to do a max distance flight you would want to keep it as close to the 40% line as possible.

So I was Out Playing with the GUAGE, I noticed that it wasn't calibrated correctly... Seemed like it was off by Like 20 degrees (When I watched it from Close Up) - so the Test was Out quite a Bit -

I remember reading yesterday - (reading somewhere) that EIther a Phone or Drone Compass DeCalibration may cause that -

I wonder what the Effect of that would be If I didn't Notice -
Flying by Instruments is Natural to me (as a Commercial Pilot) - and trusting that Guage when out of Sync May be catastrophic...

Anyway - I'll attempt to Calibrate and Retest the Experience-

So I was Out Playing with the GUAGE, I noticed that it wasn't calibrated correctly... Seemed like it was off by Like 20 degrees (When I watched it from Close Up) - so the Test was Out quite a Bit -
I remember reading yesterday - (reading somewhere) that EIther a Phone or Drone Compass DeCalibration may cause that -

Flying by Instruments is Natural to me (as a Commercial Pilot) - and trusting that Guage when out of Sync May be catastrophic...
Are you talking about the radar display?
If it's not reading properly because of the compass in the device, that would have no effect except for the display being out a little.
I had a tablet that was impossible to calibrate properly but that didn't matter.
No matter how far out it was, the home point is always at the centre of the display and it's still a simple matter to turn the drone to point to the centre of the circle and bring it home.

Anyway - I'll attempt to Calibrate and Retest the Experience-

Are you talking about the N for north on the radar? Cause that doesn’t have anything to do with the attitude of the aircraft. It’s just there to try and help you navigate since you gave up the map to get it. It’s independent of the attitude indicator they are just trying to cram as much information as possible into that area. It’s also not clear if it’s mag north or true north. I also believe the compass is realitive to the direction YOU are pointed not the AC so you know which way to look to see it, so makes it kinda useless for navigation.

It does show your ACs relative direction of the home point so at least you know which way is home.

RTH was initiated by 22 seconds of lost uplink - hence the out of control flag. I don't see anything strange in the roll data - it was very windy - around 30 mph.
Before each flight, I always check the wind speed, if it's anything over 10 mph, I normally won't bother to fly, which is being extra cautious since my Phantom 4, Mavic 2, and Mavic Air can easily handle 10 mph, but I also take into account that wind speed is normally higher when flying over 100 ft, and even more so flying over water, flying with winds at 30 mph is just asking for trouble, even with a heavier Phantom 4

Reactions: ff22
That’s ground speed not air speed which doesn’t tell us much. It does suggest a wind related issue but If he was flying with a tail wind out he wouldn’t have been going through as much battery as he was so quickly.

A newbie here. What’s the difference between ground speed and air speed? My pea brain doesn’t understand why they wouldn’t be the same. By airspeed, does this refer to the velocity of the wind? Sorry for dumb questions.

A newbie here. What’s the difference between ground speed and air speed? My pea brain doesn’t understand why they wouldn’t be the same. By airspeed, does this refer to the velocity of the wind? Sorry for dumb questions.

It’s not dumb. No airspeed refers to the speed of the aircraft relative to the air around it. Ground speed refers to the speed relative to the ground below it. So ground speed and airspeed are only the same if there Air is perfectly still. A rare occurrence. So if the wind is blowing 10 miles per hour and the aircraft is hovering in place relative to the ground the ground speed is 0 and the airspeed is 10miles per hour.

But if the aircraft is flying into the wind at a 10mph ground speed then it’s actually flying at 20 miles per hour airspeed.

The reason this is important is because let’s say the max speed of the Mavic is 45 miles per hour. If the wind is blowing 30 miles per hour then the max speed the mavic can move relative to the ground in that direction is 15mph. However to do that it means the aircraft has to use the same amount of energy to fly 15 mph into the wind as it would to fly 45 mph without any wind.

If the wind was 50mph then the Mavic cant hover and even at full stick forward into the wind it would still be blowing 5 mph in the other direction.

In this thread it was important because the pilot was only seeing the ground speed on his remote and app so he was unaware that even though he was flying at a modest speed to the ground he was using up battery as if he was flying petal to the metal the whole time. The smart battery saved him because while he didn’t realize it but the battery did and over ruled him and came back home just in time for the pilot to catch it. Pretty amazing!

The only "speed" that really concerns us as drone flyers is Groundspeed while standard aircraft deal with Indicated Airspeed, True Airspeed, as well as GS and the "speed" shown on the RC is always Groundspeed.

The important concept to remember is "headwind," i.e., flying into the wind. If you go too far downwind (meaning you you are flying with a tailwind,) and ignore the Go4 alert to bring the aircraft back because it's reached its "point of no return," then because of the amount of headwind, you won't have enough electrical power to get home and the drone will land somewhere on the way back. That may be in a tree, in water, or someone's roof.

Awesome filming! Your home appears to be nestling on the leeward side of a hill below the radio tower. I think the wind was hitting the windward side and ripping your drone away without your realizing the impact it was having. Your video shows some heavy cloud formations - it is known that the SA highveld can build up a lot of pressure in summer. My guess is that your drone was needing to flip modes in order to get the angle necessary to do what you were asking it to do.
Thank you for posting

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topcomons