DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

D-Cinelike 30fps HQ vs 60fps non-HQ

RDowson

Reactions
When filming in D-Cinelike (H.265), does the "HQ" mode on 30fps and below improve anything over filming at 60fps?

Yes. The long explanation can be found at
. The short version is you get a reduced field of view but potentially better image quality.

Reactions: PHZ
Yes. The long explanation can be found at
. The short version is you get a reduced field of view but potentially better image quality.
That’s not for the Mini 3 Pro thoigh. Can we be sure it’s the same?
I’ve seen others say they can’t see any difference in quality when in D-Cinelike mode.

oh... no...my bad on that. I'm sure it's NOT exactly the same. The mini 3 pro doesn't have a 20mp sensor.... HQ is not found in the current manual or the release notes. I reflexively fly at 4k60 and have not notice the HQ setting. Where is that. There isn't much I found on youtube but this video
shows some side by side. What I noticed was a bit better shadows and less pixelation in low light, both are indicative of a higher bit depth. I'd bet money on that being the difference and it would make perfect sense as to why it would be held to 30fps. Assuming that is the case, in good light condition without any special need to get detail in shadows there would be no huge need to use it unless you were submitting it to an agency that required a given bit depth (not likely) but in lower light in particular or any time 30fps is a desired option it would be a good choice and would always result in better youtube videos although again..with good lighting...it would be hard to tell the difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: RDowson
Bad DJI again!

"HQ" on the M3P is a completely different animal than on the M2. Has nothing to do with resolution, sensor cropping or FOV.

On the M3P the HQ modes are the HDR feature using the dual native ISO capabilities of the sensor. Because there's quite a bit more computation involved with each frame, it's limited to 30fps.

The HQ modes are found in the RES&FPS menu, far left, 24, 25 and 30 fps.

Don't know how to turn this off, don't think you can. To shoot without it, shoot higher than 30fps.

20230413_111247.jpg

Bad DJI again!

"HQ" on the M3P is a completely different animal than on the M2. Has nothing to do with resolution, sensor cropping or FOV.

On the M3P the HQ modes are the HDR feature using the dual native ISO capabilities of the sensor. Because there's quite a bit more computation involved with each frame, it's limited to 30fps.

The HQ modes are found in the RES&FPS menu, far left, 24, 25 and 30 fps.

Don't know how to turn this off, don't think you can. To shoot without it, shoot higher than 30fps.

View attachment 162606
Will shooting at 60fps and not having the HQ “HDR” feature look any worse though?
I’d love to shoot everything at 4K60 but if 4K30 will look better, in terms of picture quality, I’ll stick to that.

Will shooting at 60fps and not having the HQ “HDR” feature look any worse though?
I’d love to shoot everything at 4K60 but if 4K30 will look better, in terms of picture quality, I’ll stick to that.
Not gonna answer a better/worse subjective question.

What you will see is better low-light performance. Detail in the darkest parts of the image that is not there in the non-HQ modes.

The way this works is the sensor has two bias amplifiers that can be selected on a row by row basis. The native ISO (lowest noise) for these two Amps is 400 and 800.

This image is captured alternating rows with the high and low amps. Then, adjacent rows undergo some computational process to reduce noise in the high ISO rows.

Reactions: RDowson
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147