DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

D-log M question

Filmarik

Reactions
Can someone please explain what is the benefit of the D-log M which has just been added to M3 and the M3Pro in the new FW. I've shot in Normal and D-log and HLG and used the DJI supplied LUT with great result for the D-log, so why should I use the D-log M? I can see that with D-log M I can shoot from ISO 100 onwards. Is that an advantage over the D-log?
Pardon my ignorance if this sound like a trivial question

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I am asking myself the same question. From what I gather from YouBoob, Dlog-M is like a wanabee dlog. It has more contrast and more color baked in. Great for those who want a little more latitude than the "normal" color profile produces while not as difficult to grade as dlog. Great question when considering the M3P as the MFT camera will record both dlog and dlog-M while the 70mm camera will only record dlog-M and matching things up may be a bit of a challenge if like myself you really like the dlog on the MFT camera.

Reactions: Skyscope
All sensors are linear. To achieve log curve, you need to remap it, but signal was already amplified and stored in digital space, thats why all remapping operations produce extra noise (already captured noisefloor in linear sensor response) - you can not capture log curve out of sensor directly.

Due to post-process, before remap, you also need to amplify captured signal to get more shadows and midtones (increase ISO), thats why base ISO in log are always x2...x4 to origin.

JJI's d-log looks like log curve, d-log m is not "real log", its looks like typical linear sensor data, stored in d-gamut colorspace (while standart profile is same linear data, remapped in rec709 colorspace + extra gamma/color boost what jji called "brilliant hassel color"). I suppose only d-log contain all benefits of log curve, but jji added "d-log m" because of marketing and hype for log curves nowadays.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Can someone help me? When I transfer videos from my Mavic 3 to my Samsung 23 Ultra, All videos will transfer except video shot in D-Log.

Can someone help me? When I transfer videos from my Mavic 3 to my Samsung 23 Ultra, All videos will transfer except video shot in D-Log.
Is it possible that D-Log is not readable as a file on your phone?

I would assume it downloads perfectly on your pc..?

All sensors are linear. To achieve log curve, you need to remap it, but signal was already amplified and stored in digital space, thats why all remapping operations produce extra noise (already captured noisefloor in linear sensor response) - you can not capture log curve out of sensor directly.

Due to post-process, before remap, you also need to amplify captured signal to get more shadows and midtones (increase ISO), thats why base ISO in log are always x2...x4 to origin.

JJI's d-log looks like log curve, d-log m is not "real log", its looks like typical linear sensor data, stored in d-gamut colorspace (while standart profile is same linear data, remapped in rec709 colorspace + extra gamma/color boost what jji called "brilliant hassel color"). I suppose only d-log contain all benefits of log curve, but jji added "d-log m" because of marketing and hype for log curves nowadays.
Uhhhh. . . whut? 😂

Reactions: Bill Lorenz
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan