DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Data Only cable? (Android Charging Issue)

Stacy

Reactions
Does anybody know where I can find the fantastic, magical yet elusive "Data Only" USB cable (micro USB to USB C) or (micro USB to micro USB)

Supposedly this fixes the asinine "controller charging Android phone" issue that DJI refuses to address.

Reactions: Khayman
does it exist more chance of finding a Yeti good luck

In all fairness its not a DJI issue. It's an Android issue, happens with Parrot and Autel and others that use your phone with the controller. There isn't anything DJI can do except make their devices only compatible with Apple. You'll find the same complaints and questions on their respective forums as well.

The data only cables generally don't work. Most flavors of Android will drop the data connection if the power connection is missing. There are some exceptions specific to a handful of phones and depending on the version of Android they are running. If it was as easy as a data only cable they would be easier to find.

i think, maybe you need this : Resistor Cable. (Anti charging cable)

20200209_154519_HDR.jpg
made of used that 600~700 ohm standard resistor.

20200301_123254_HDR.jpg
Complete build cable!

Before : flight in 3 pack of battery - consumption of Radio battery is about 60%

After : flight in 5 pack of battery - consumption of radio battery is about 55~65%.

can use more the 2 pack of battery!

So looks like red cable hits 2 resistors then output pin?? And is it 600-700 total?? Its hard to see the bands....it looks like your using 2 - 330ohm resistors in series, is this correct??

Last edited:
So looks like red cable hits 2 resistors then output pin?? And is it 600-700 total?? Its hard to see the bands....it looks like your using 2 - 330ohm resistors in series, is this correct??

I'm not have 660 ohm. So i take the 2 serial 330 ohm resistors.

and it soldering "USB + polarity pin".

Other pin is not modify. Only +pole pin take a resistor.

------------------
Important informations :

Every device manufacturer is different use of resistor!
if sony xperia z ultra is very bad case of it.

It just use very low ohms, but can't recognize controller.
(about ~10 ohms)

This is virtually ineffective.

but samsung galaxy take use very huge ohms, can recognize controller. (about few hundreds~k ohms)

It is very effective :) good.

and, my device is "Lenovo tab A8-50" series.
it can support the few hundred ohms. (about 600~700 ohm)

good. effective.

Yon need :

1. DIY USB :
My recommendation is 90 degrees angle type USB.

2. Resistor :
You must find the maximum value your device can recognize.

use either standard resistors, precision resistors or SMD resistors. all valid!

If the weather is extremely cold or hot, or if a large year-round difference, such as South Korea, It may be necessary to use precision high performance resistors. (Please judge according to the situation)

Because semiconductors can vary in performance depending on operating temperature.

3. Cable :
My recommendation is use silicone cable instead of ordinary PVC cable.

The pvc cable is vulnerable to breakage due to frequent bending and may cause the cable to melt during soldering.

I also used a silicone cable.

Got it.... Any idea what values a Huawei ascend xt2 or mediapad m3 would need? Those are what i fly with?

Got it.... Any idea what values a Huawei ascend xt2 or mediapad m3 would need? Those are what i fly with?

Sorry. I don't know. I just know resistor of Lenovo A8-50, Xperia z ultra series.

finding the huawei M3's ohm it is quest given to you :)

My gamble : 1Kohm! Haha :)
(Anything pic you! You can test it with a variable resistor anyway, then build it with a typical resistor of that value)

Has someone tried actually just.. cutting the +5v? I don't think it's needed in this case as the device listens to the serial connection pins, mayhaps the +5v is needed to make the device automatically start identification of the connected device, but.. Is that really needed?

Edit: missed the part where it was explained that many devices drop the data connection if +5v is missing, that's unfortunate.. Never actually tried this myself so I'm actually quite surprised that manufacturers built it that way. It seems somewhat pointless to me..

Has someone tried actually just.. cutting the +5v? I don't think it's needed in this case as the device listens to the serial connection pins, mayhaps the +5v is needed to make the device automatically start identification of the connected device, but.. Is that really needed?

Edit: missed the part where it was explained that many devices drop the data connection if +5v is missing, that's unfortunate.. Never actually tried this myself so I'm actually quite surprised that manufacturers built it that way. It seems somewhat pointless to me..

Besides me, many Korean mavic users make and use this resistor cables.

Grand Mavic Villain, love the name Thumbswayup..I will be giving this a try as soon as I get some time, we just got a week of warmer (flying) weather, so I will be flying all week.....

Diode and res on communication cable(red one),21700 to replace but need cut some stuff for space

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11