DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Decreased performance

Adamisprimal

Reactions
So I tried a weight lifting test on my drone and it seems I can only lift 190g with my drone and I do not think that is normal compared to all the other tests I have seen. New props used and 4 different batteries all at full charge. The top speed of the drone is also like 55kmph. The motors feel smooth when rotating with no damage apparent. Should I wd40 the motors or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

So I tried a weight lifting test on my drone and it seems I can only lift 190g with my drone and I do not think that is normal compared to all the other tests I have seen. New props used and 4 different batteries all at full charge. The top speed of the drone is also like 55kmph. The motors feel smooth when rotating with no damage apparent. Should I wd40 the motors or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
WD40 is not really a great lubricant. It's great for drying things out and breaking things free but not so much for lubricating motors. Cleaning the motors with some compressed air would be ok as long as the pressure is not too high. Oiling them will attract dust and make things worse over time. Most DJI bearings are sealed anyway.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
The top speed of the drone is also like 55kmph. The motors feel smooth when rotating with no damage apparent. Should I wd40 the motors or not.
Definitely not ... don't try to lubricate your motors at all, you won't make any thing better and will probably just cause a problem.
Oiling the motors won't make your drone go any faster anyway.

Are you saying the the drone won't fly faster than 55km/h, when flying without extra weight?
To see what's happening, post the recorded flight data from a flight where this happened.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Considering that these DJI drones are specifically designed as lightweight camera mounts, I would not be subjecting them to any prolonged heavy additional weights. As soon as the lift loading increases, the gravitational reactive forces have to go somewhere and the only place for that to happen is in the rotor bearings and drive mechanism. I, personally, would not deliberately choose to apply excess strain and wear on to those fairly fragile components. It is not quite the same as adding a line release for fishing, or a strobe, but big payloads, no. But each to their own. If I specifically wanted to move large items, there are cargo drones on the market. 👍😎🇳🇿

Reactions: 4006448
Considering that these DJI drones are specifically designed as lightweight camera mounts, I would not be subjecting them to any prolonged heavy additional weights. As soon as the lift loading increases, the gravitational reactive forces have to go somewhere and the only place for that to happen is in the rotor bearings and drive mechanism. I, personally, would not deliberately choose to apply excess strain and wear on to those fairly fragile components. It is not quite the same as adding a line release for fishing, or a strobe, but big payloads, no. But each to their own. If I specifically wanted to move large items, there are cargo drones on the market. 👍😎🇳🇿
I am not trying use the drone for payloads. I had noticed a decrease in top speed and set out to see if it is motor related by running a test on the drone and subsequently it appears I was correct is my assumption. The MA should be able to lift 300g not the 190g I am getting currently. I know this bird is not designed for payloads it was merely a test.

I am not trying use the drone for payloads. I had noticed a decrease in top speed and set out to see if it is motor related by running a test on the drone and subsequently it appears I was correct is my assumption. The MA should be able to lift 300g not the 190g I am getting currently. I know this bird is not designed for payloads it was merely a test.
A weightlifting test isn't the way to tell what might have caused a supposed loss of performance.
Drones don't slow down because their motors wear out.

If you are really interested in finding out the facts , post the recorded flight data from a flight where the drone is unable to fly at normal speed.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000