DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Did I buy a damaged drone?

NoviceKNOWnot

Reactions
This is my first post, so bare with me. Here's the formatted info, as requested:

Problem?
Inconsistent hovering. Shaky gimbal while powered on.

Was unit in a crash?
Unknown, not from me.

What have you tried so far?
Nothing. I noticed it after the "maiden" flight.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
iPhone 8 Plus & 11

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?
Honestly, I have no idea of how to check. It did a bunch of firmware updates to the RC and drone. My 8plus almost died after all of it, so I switched over to my iPhone 11. When I did that, the app, which I had freshly loaded, indicated I needed to updated again! I chose to skip this time because of the battery drain the RC and drone had already gone through. With that said, I assume the RC and drone are the most current, but it's possible that my phones app was not the most current?

What Go app version are you using?
v4.3.38 on the iPhone 11 - Used on the "maiden voyage"

Any modification? (if so what)
The drone still has these vinyl wrap stickers. The rotors look original. The person I just bought it from said that he bought it from a "drone" shop. Which sounds sketch.

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)
Not yet, plan on doing litchi, maven, or drone link.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Coming soon. I'm not sure if the footage from the drone will illustrate it. It should though.

Short story last: After owning a mini for a while, I wanted a pro. I've been on this forum for a short bit, and read that if the drone doesn't hover well, it could be a "bad thing". I found a pro for "cheap" $500, and I got there late for the test flight. The main things I noticed that gave me pause were some "flutter" while hovering, and the gimbal seemed loose. The seller was in a rush, and I assumed it was just different from my mini because it was older. I bought it anyway, obviously.
After the long time waiting for firmware updates, it was already dark out, but I just wanted to get it up. After I took it up, I can't remember what I pushed, but I thought it must have been some kind of subject following feature because I heard it start moving. I pressed the icon again, and observed that the drone was just not hovering steady.
I apologize if I'm just wasting everyone's time. I've learned just to ask if I have questions, even if I think they are stupid. I've noticed that this forum is supportive to new users. Do you think this is because is was dark, sensors dirty, rotors damaged, or , heaven forbid, motors damaged?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
look in the 3-dot-name section of the menu, the bottom item in the main menu list and then the "about" section
I recollect reading unstable hover might mean the IMU needs recalibrating, I am not sure it that is correct or internet waffle but the instructions for the procedure should be in the manual, which you should read anyway

500. bucks is not cheap ..I hope you didn't get taken. Read the manual and keep us advised...good luck

Reactions: eaglesurfing
This is my first post, so bare with me. Here's the formatted info, as requested:

Problem?
Inconsistent hovering. Shaky gimbal while powered on.

Was unit in a crash?
Unknown, not from me.

What have you tried so far?
Nothing. I noticed it after the "maiden" flight.

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?
iPhone 8 Plus & 11

Honestly, I have no idea of how to check. It did a bunch of firmware updates to the RC and drone. My 8plus almost died after all of it, so I switched over to my iPhone 11. When I did that, the app, which I had freshly loaded, indicated I needed to updated again! I chose to skip this time because of the battery drain the RC and drone had already gone through. With that said, I assume the RC and drone are the most current, but it's possible that my phones app was not the most current?

What Go app version are you using?
v4.3.38 on the iPhone 11 - Used on the "maiden voyage"

Any modification? (if so what)
The drone still has these vinyl wrap stickers. The rotors look original. The person I just bought it from said that he bought it from a "drone" shop. Which sounds sketch.

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)
Not yet, plan on doing litchi, maven, or drone link.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
Coming soon. I'm not sure if the footage from the drone will illustrate it. It should though.

Short story last: After owning a mini for a while, I wanted a pro. I've been on this forum for a short bit, and read that if the drone doesn't hover well, it could be a "bad thing". I found a pro for "cheap" $500, and I got there late for the test flight. The main things I noticed that gave me pause were some "flutter" while hovering, and the gimbal seemed loose. The seller was in a rush, and I assumed it was just different from my mini because it was older. I bought it anyway, obviously.
After the long time waiting for firmware updates, it was already dark out, but I just wanted to get it up. After I took it up, I can't remember what I pushed, but I thought it must have been some kind of subject following feature because I heard it start moving. I pressed the icon again, and observed that the drone was just not hovering steady.
I apologize if I'm just wasting everyone's time. I've learned just to ask if I have questions, even if I think they are stupid. I've noticed that this forum is supportive to new users. Do you think this is because is was dark, sensors dirty, rotors damaged, or , heaven forbid, motors damaged?
Thanks in advance!
You are rushing things for a used drone. Rather than jumping to conclusions, take the time to verify your firmware on the AC and RC, then go through all the calibrations: IMU, Compass, gimbal, vision system, RC control sticks. Then make sure the motors turn free and equal. Carefully inspect each prop and their attachment tabs. Make sure the gimbal plate is positioned between the rear travel limit tab and the drone. Take the time to learn how to do all of this. Get it done, then test fly it and tell us what it does.

Last edited:
You are rushing things for a used drone. Rather than jumping to conclusions, take the time to verify your firmware on the AC and RC, then go through all the calibrations: IMU, Compass, gimbal, vision system, RC control sticks. Take the time to learn how to do all of this. Get it done, then test fly it and tell us what it does.
Yes..... Please do what he posted.

Reactions: Randyscott
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929