DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Diff between Zoom and Pro lines?

Reactions
What is the main difference between these two lines and what scenario is one better than the other? I'm also curious as to why there's no news about the Zoom 3 when Youtube is filled with rumors about the Mavic 3 Pro. I'm guessing that they're already combining thee features of the two and going with one line going forward? They're probably gonna remove the "Pro" naming and just go with "Mavic" for their lineup. Anyway, please enlighten me. Thank you!

The pro lens is higher quality optics than the zoom lens. The zoom lens has zoom capability, but at the cost of lower optics.

I hope the Mavic 3 pro is not a combo (as you say it might), because that would basically mean that they drop the higher quality Pro lens and it's just a new Zoom model with the "pro" moniker. For photographers, that would mean lower quality images/video.

But my guess is that the Zoom model will simply be dropped. I haven't done any kind of polling, so this is just seat of my pants approximation, but I think we've seen a lot more Pro action on these boards than the Zoom posts.

Take note of this opinion: a Zoom lens isn't really that valuable on a platform that is mostly always moving. There are probably some case where you might not want to get closer to a subject with a drone, but in most scenarios I can think of, since you're flying your camera up in the air, you can simply get closer to the subject rather than zoom with the lens.

On the ground, a zoom is of course much more valuable when you can't get closer with your feet or it would be difficult / time-consuming.

Chris

The Pro has a larger sensor (1 inch 20MP) and the Zoom has optical zoom as opposed to digital zoom but only a 12MP sensor. The zoom is helpful for wildlife or areas where you can't get close to your subject for one reason or another. The Pro has better light sensitivity, dynamic range, and less noise in night scenes. It depends on your use case. I would imagine the Mavic 3 will come out with a 6 or 8K sensor which will enable upscaling to high resolution keeping the detail thus mitigating the need for a zoom version with a smaller sensor. With DJI however, who knows, they may come out with a 6K with optical zoom if they can get the optics light enough.

I've seen some interesting shots with the M2Z, but the camera on the M2P is the key. It's not just the higher quality, but it's also a longer focal length. Some pilots may prefer the wider focal length of all the other Mavics, but I really like the longer lens. It brings those close shots flying close to the water or other features even closer, with more motion blur. It does however require a higher skill level when using the gimbal to maintain the axial relationship with the center point of gimbal rotation, otherwise too much blur in frame and you lose subject focal point.

What is the main difference between these two lines and what scenario is one better than the other? I'm also curious as to why there's no news about the Zoom 3 when Youtube is filled with rumors about the Mavic 3 Pro. I'm guessing that they're already combining thee features of the two and going with one line going forward? They're probably gonna remove the "Pro" naming and just go with "Mavic" for their lineup. Anyway, please enlighten me. Thank you!
I think this answer depends on what you do with your rig. I take forensic photos of structures. I've used the Zoom and Pro and even on the same job. I borrowed a friends Zoom and brought it on the job with me a couple years back. I used me smart controller for both rigs, on the same day and with 30 minutes of each other.

Using the default anti collision standoff distances I take pics of the side of a building looking at hail impacts and roofs. I'm usually limited to about 9 ft unless I want to disable the sensors and move in closer. I've found that in my region, the 9 ft stand off is just fine because otherwise, if a wind comes along and pushes me into the building it can be a long fall.
Using the Pro, I get as close as the sensors allow, and did the same with the zoom, zoomed all the way in.

The quality of the Pro lens far surpasses the Zoom lens and even with the zoom all the way in I can see the details to things I need to see much better with the pro.
That being said, most of my real analysis is performed on my computer and scrolling through hundreds of photos.

Although, if I was making a movie clip, or something promotional or artistic, the zoom provides a feature that the Pro can't. With the zoom I could probably take the raw clip and do less processing on it. I could probably achieve similar effects with the Pro acquired clips but that Zoom Dolly effect just aint gonna happen with the Pro.

If I was using the drone for real time intel, like watching something happen and viewing it on the screen of the smart controller, the zoom would probably be the better option.

Just as additional umpfh, the camera on the Pro is so good that even though I carry around a Canon T7i on the ground (yeah not the best camera but not the worst either) I usually walk the perimeter of the property with the drone just above my head to capture elevation shots and closeups of gutters or gables. Details that if I took it with my ground camera they end up either looking in the sun and washing out the shot, or it's just a weird angle for my reports.

I'll be surprised if they merge the two into just one platform since the priorities are so different for each rig. Developing a mush of the two will likely yield a bird that does more of the zoom side but with less overall quality. That won't entice me to upgrade.

I am hopping the M3 series can shoot vertical up.

I am tired of having to fill the sky dome or replace the sky.

That means my drown can get much lower, dolly shots from the under the trees, under the bridge, etc etc

The pro lens is higher quality optics than the zoom lens. The zoom lens has zoom capability, but at the cost of lower optics.

I hope the Mavic 3 pro is not a combo (as you say it might), because that would basically mean that they drop the higher quality Pro lens and it's just a new Zoom model with the "pro" moniker. For photographers, that would mean lower quality images/video.

But my guess is that the Zoom model will simply be dropped. I haven't done any kind of polling, so this is just seat of my pants approximation, but I think we've seen a lot more Pro action on these boards than the Zoom posts.

Take note of this opinion: a Zoom lens isn't really that valuable on a platform that is mostly always moving. There are probably some case where you might not want to get closer to a subject with a drone, but in most scenarios I can think of, since you're flying your camera up in the air, you can simply get closer to the subject rather than zoom with the lens.

On the ground, a zoom is of course much more valuable when you can't get closer with your feet or it would be difficult / time-consuming.

Chris
Or maybe a higher optics with optical zoom capability?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S